Claytor Lake, Virginia

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jgdishon, Aug 11, 2006.

1. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    The friends of Claytor Lake have a very interesting web site that contains a map of the lake, articles about siltation problems and efferts that are underway to clean the lake in general. Give it a look they are working hard to help the enviroment.
    http://www.focl.org/

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry Jeff, I have a friend that has a boat and house there and he refers to it as "Claytor Desert". I'm sure there are fish in it but I don't know anyone who has ever caught one.

3. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    I have some bass fisherman friends that call it the dead sea! But I have pulled some nice flat heads out of it and a few good sized strippers. The biggest cat a 43 pound mud cat

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Mud Cat? What in the world is that? Unless you mean Flathead, I've never heard of that.

Wheelmobile07

5. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Yea thats what we call a flathead around here! I have been trying to be politically correct and the first time I slip I get called down for it. LOL

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    LOL, it's all good bro, iv'e heard people calling bullheads mud cats around here too, thats the reason i got a lil confused

wheelmobile07

7. quail man

quail man New Member

State:
    n c
    fished claytor 2 28 06 caught 8 strippers

8. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Don't know where you guys got your info,but believe me,Claytor Lake is a fine place to fish.I have caught some real nice smallies and largemouth there at night.I have to say,it has being rough at times ,but you just have to know where and what to throw at them.I have fished it from the bridge to the dam and have had a blast at times.Pete Creek is also a good place to go there.Who ever said fishing was easy?:lol: :0a34: :0a32: :0a17: :0a36: :004:

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    What about the area below the dam where the little river and the New river come together? Thinking about doing some night time fishing for catfish there? Any info would be greatly appreciated only about 1.5hr from the house and would like to get up there soon.

Thanks in advance,
    Wheelmobile07

10. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Trey,I have never fished around that area,so I wouldn't know what to tell you.But I can tell you this much.In 2004,me and a couple of friends went and stayed at the state run campground there at Claytor.We decided to try some catfishing in the lake,so we went and caught some bait and took off up the lake to Pete's Creek and sit at the mouth of it and caught several nice cats that night.I thinking the biggest one was a 27 #flathead on shinners.I live only 1 hr from Claytor and I have always enjoyed it there.I'd say give it a try,what have you got to lose?:big_smile: :006: :0a35: :0a17:

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    yeah i think i might just try that hole out this weekend before it gets too terribly cold.

Wheelmobile07

12. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    It was a great place to fish for everything, Striper, Catfish, Small mouth and Muskie. I even caught a nice walleye on a rebel one time. I stopped fishing it because there was so many other people fishing it. Now this back before I had a boat and the good spots on the bank were always taken. I say give it a try and let us know how you do. My advise is to take big sinkers and use Chicken livers. I caight a bunch of cats from 5 to 10 pounds off the bank were the two rivers meet below the dam. I even lost a rod one night. I almost lost a bunch of rods one night because i tied them to a big log that drifted in and dozed off in my chair. When i woke up the water was up to my ankles and the log had swung around out into the river. When they open that dam it comes up in a hurry. Good luck and be safe.

13. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Caught a nice 10 lb flathead on Claytor last weekend, Best part was a young buck came down the water about 30 yards from me to drink and then a pack of Coyoties came. Kind of like Wild kingdom...

14. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow, Jeff, great report! It is good to hear that you're having a good time at Claytor.

I've fished Brittle up here most of my life and rarely walk away empty handed; but it, too, is a lake reportedly highly over-fished.

When it's close and free, it'll do! :confused2:

15. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Were is Brittle?

16. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Lake Brittle is a good way from Claytor Lake, for sure...about twleve miles east of Warrenton. Claytor Lake was a whole lot closer when I was down in Blacksburg!

17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Imma try to get up to that spot where the rivers meet below the dam. Sure looks like a good bank spot but looks can be deceving.

Wheelmobile07

18. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    The last time I fished the river fork I used chicken liver and something kept stealing my bait. The last time I reeled in to go home I had a crawfish as big as a frisbee holding onto my line with one pincher and was useing the other to get the liver.

19. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    When they get that big the look like freshwater lobsters, Ive even heard some people calling them that. But that is one of the main staple foods for the smallies in the new, I guess that may be one reason the smallie fishing is some of the best in the nation in that river.

Wheelmobile07

20. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I hope you took him home and gave him a nice, warm bath! :big_smile: