Claytor Lake: Need some recommendations

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by photocat, Jul 21, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'm coming down that ways to fish later this year... most likely end of August/early September... and i have a few questions for those guys who live around there/ fish around there/ camp there.

Where is a cheap, quality camp ground near the lake (with in 5 minutes driving)? I plan on using a tent so having basic sites w/ few RV/electric hook up sites is a +.

What kind of boat do i need to safely go out on the water? would i be better off renting a little motor boat once i'm down there or will my 10 ft jon be alright out on the waters... i know its a fairly large lake and there are some people who love water skiing there but will i be in any danger going in the "off season"? What about launching? Any good ramps you know of?

Also the lake is marked in the Anglers series Catfish book as a Trophy lake for Flats... is this true or are they just pulling my leg?

Where and when do you catch them if there are infact flats in there? What Baits (bluegills, Sunnies, perch, smallmouth (if legal, im not positive the regs), etc...)? What types of structures are they keying up on? Dopths? upper end? lower end?

Also anyone live around there and would want a fishing buddy/flattie mentor for a night? I'm more then willing to learn... my days are still up in the air as to when i'm coming down but we'll be able to works something out if you would like me as a buddy for a night....

Thanks in Advanced for any and all answers... (please try and keep answers to CLAYTOR lake(and maybe New River) rather then generally speaking about Flatties)

2. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Sorry i didnt find your post earlier. I live on Claytor lake and help you a little. Conrad Brothers marina rents pontoon boats by the day or week there number is 540-980-1575 they are located in the mouth of peak creek hollow wich is about midway of the lake. I caught a 13 pound flat head last week. My biggest a 43 pounder. If you can find your way back out of peak creek to the main lake the area around the points of that hollow is good for flat heads. 80 foot drop offs under the water seem to hold the big ones durring the day and at night come up into the shallows looking for food. I recommend small blue guills. Have fun and good luck. Oh yea almost forgot, the state park has a excellent campround with and with out hook ups. Also has docking area for boats.

3. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    There have been several big flatheads caught this week on Claytor according to the local marina.

4. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    They have dropped the lake about 6 feet for property owners to clean there banks and service there docks.

5. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've lived around Claytor Lake {i'm 32} my whole life ,been fishing Claytor and New river for about 15 years. I have heard and seen a few nice flatheads from Claytor. I think the best flathead fishing in that area is on the river {New}. Either below Claytor dam, 10 foot jon boat would work well, or around the Arsonal bridge on rt. 114. I have caught nice cats at both locations. As far as a campground near Claytor, is the state park-however the last time i camped there and tried to go fishing, the game warden informed me that after 10 pm you cannot be out of your campsite. The campground is about 1/2 mile from water with no water frontage. However off I-81 exit 105 {claytor is exit 102] there is a campground at the sportsman store which is within site od the dam and is on water-launch boat about 1/4 upstream at public landing also good bank fishing access. Any other questions chpblevins@yahoo.com
    Chip