Claytor Lake 6-15-07

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by riverdawg-1, Jun 16, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Went to Claytor Last night and bank fished from Dehaven Park. Lost 1 big fish, got me in a snag and broke my 20# line:angry:. Then I got a 10.3# chanell and several small ones, 12-15 inches. Big one on a gill head, the one I lost was on half of a 12 inch shad, the head part. and the rest on cut shad, and 1 on nightcrawler.
    Chip
    I was trying to post pics, but can't get them to resize. I resized them on my computer, but when I try to attach them they are back to the original size?

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats on the fish Chip. That is a nice channel. Did you fish the same spot we did, and how was the boat traffic?

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    Thanks for the post/information. Also congrats on the fish!

Funny, I fished that area for the first time Thursday night. We didn't catfish too long due to the rain coming down. Ended up going for crappie and when the stripers started jumping we switched up again :big_smile: We had a five species night; bluegill, crappie, warhead, striper & large mouth.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va

No this place is a public park on the other side of the lake. Boat traffic was very minimal. It ussually is there except on Sat. nights when they have a bass tournament out of there. I like this place alot better than where we went. It is a peninsula that is about 150 or so yards long and about 50 yards wide. one side is a cove the other the main lake. It also has a nice pier and most of the time there are only 2 or 3 other people fishing at the most. There is easy access around the bank to fish the whole area. Stripers were also up but i couldn't get them on top. last wed. I was throwing a pop-r at them and caught a few largemouth right before the sun came up off of the pier.
    Chip