Claytor/gatewood

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by smith11, Aug 27, 2007.

1. smith11

smith11 New Member

State:
    virginia
    anybody fishing claytor or gatewood

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have not fished Claytor in about 3 weeks. Prior to that I been there at least once a week most of spring and summer. Fishing has been fair. I have only fished gatewood 1 time, about a month or so ago, I caught several nice chanells.
    Chip

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where is Gatewood? I never heard of that one.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Gatewood is in Pulaski. I think it's the town water supply. There is a campground and small boat launch, electric motors only. I've only been there twice, but caught some chanells both times. To get there just follow signs from downtown Pulaski.
    Chip

5. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been fishing at Claytor Lake a night or two each week for the past month and have seen the channel cat bite slowly turning on. I've been fishing at night and focusing on flats near deeper channels on the main lake. I've used only fresh cutbait and have caught quality fish. Not meaning to brag, but the last seven fish have averaged over 10 pounds each. The biggest was caught on 8-25-07 and weighed 16 pounds. For what it's worth, early on I had tried chicken liver, nightcrawlers and paste/stink baits and never got a bite. The fresh cut bluegills get all the action. Good luck to you.

mike

6. smith11

smith11 New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks for the info i went to gatewood and caught a 8lb channel hade a ton of hits but thats the only one that made it to the boat.gatewood is pulaski's water supply and it is located out in the middle of nowhere they have boat rentals or bring your own but no gas motors it only cost me 6 bucks for 4 hours. http://www.pulaskigatewood.com/

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks guys. Sounds like a good place. I'll head on down there one of these days.