Clayton Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW MEXICO TALK' started by RockyIII, Nov 30, 2007.

1. RockyIII

RockyIII New Member

State:
    From NY but live in NM
    Howdy all,
    223Reload mentioned big Channel Cats in Clayton Lake. I've never been there but want to when it opens in the spring. Can you all tell me something about the lake.
    Thank you, Jim

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its a very small lake ,and the temps are cold enough for rainbows all year ,most years . They also have a huge population of Walleye. The lake is m/l 10 miles north of Clayton .Stop in Knotts sporting goods on the main drag and they will give you the latest info on what is biting and working .If I am able I might just tag along with ya.[Oh yeah ,boats are allowed ,but trolling speed only.]

3. RockyIII

RockyIII New Member

State:
    From NY but live in NM
    Thanks Richard,
    Hopefully we can hook up. I will be coming out to Ute next spring. Is Clayton bigger/smaller than Springer? Icefishing is coming up. Jim

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havent been to springer lake in years ,but as I remember it looked like a big pond to me ,Clayton lake is small ,but I would guess it covers several acres in size

5. RockyIII

RockyIII New Member

State:
    From NY but live in NM
    LOL, it is kind of a big pond, but I like it. Some big fish in there. Clayton sounds cool also. I kind of like small lakes, reminds me of back home in NY. Have a good one. If you want, I'll let you know the first time I go icefishing. First ice is nice. Jim