Classic Cat by St. Croix

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by mtrimble, Oct 13, 2005.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I just picked up a classic cat rod with an Abu 6500 C3 mounted on it for $70 at a local pawn shop. Both are almost new. It looks pretty fancy with porcelin coated line guides, a 15-60 lb line and 1-8 ounce lure ratings. Ive never seen a pole with that kind of line and lure weight range. I feel like I stumbled upon a great bargain. Does anyone use this rod? what are its advantages and disadvantages? It seems like it should be listed on this forum anyway.

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I would say you got a good deal. The Classic Cat rod alone ran $120.00 around here. St. Croix discountinued this rod a while back but they are an excellent rod. I have caught flatheads up to 45lb on mine and you can tell it will handle much bigger cats than that. The only down side i've seen is that when the 2-5lb cats are hitting it's pretty much just drag it in, but thats the same with any heavy action rod designed for big fish.

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for the info griz. Yea, i caught a 7 lb. flat in the deep fork the other day and i thought the rod felt pretty good for its size. It wasnt as action packed as my ugly stick would have been but it was alot better than my other heavy rod. Know anything about a collapsable classic cat long pole?

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I got one and I love it mine is the 8' colapsable. great rod!!! You got a bargain, I'll give you a $100 for the rod alone if ya want to part with it!!!! been lookin for another one but the pickins are pretty slim. got an abu 7000 c3 mounted on mine. take good care of it you'll probibly never be able to replace it. no disadvatages except that its no longer made and the price when it was made. best big cat rod I've ever seen period

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i would say ya got a great deal. the st croix rods ive seen are real pricey. to much for my wallet.

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i own 2 classic cat rods by st. croix .. great rods .. i caught that monster in my avatar with one .. i've never had a single problem with them and they're really sensitive so you can feel exactly what's going on with you bites

too bad they were discountinued .. i would say these are probably the best rods made for fish between 10 and 30lbs

7. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks for the feedback. Pawn Shops are the way to go for finding great deals on fishing supplies. You can always talk em' down a minimum of 15% on anything. The best ones are the chain pawn shops in the middle of the city where the chances of the employees being knowledgable about fishing is low. My greatest finds have been at such shops. However, with small individually owned pawn shops and pawn shops on the outskirts of town the chances that the guys running the place know a thing or two about fishing is much higher. So their gear will be priced accordingly. When I need tackle, a pole or a reel I go to pawn shops. The downside is that your probably buying goods that at some point were stolen. But, if you dont have much money then pawn shops in big cities are bar none the best place to find fishing gear (especially tackle).

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :crying: I had two Clasic Cats I bought new (according to the St Croix Ware house, 2 of the last 4 they shipped out) I paid $160 each for them & called in sick at work to go pick them up in Columbus. Last year my fmaily had $ problems & had to sell them. Man, I'd give you double what you paid for that outfit! I even posted a "Wanted" post in the ad section yesterday.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have six St. Croix rods. One 7' med. lite and one 7 1/2' med. lite spinning and two 7' medium, one 7' medium heavy, and one 7 1/2' heavy. I use the heavy rod for river catfish and have gotten many flats and blues over 30 lb with it. I can't say enough good things about St. Croixs products. The med. light action spinning rods have landed wiper up to 15 lb and channel and smaller blues up to 20 lb. They have held up for me for 6 years now...and that's impressive in it's own. I tend to break things...lol.

10. mustad

mustad New Member

State:
    Orient Iowa
    I too would buy that from you. I got a Classic Cat from a vendor at work that wanted my business. It showed up on my doorstep at home one day. My wife nearly made me take a poligragh to see if I was lying or not.
    I also was lucky enough this year to find 2 E cat # 4's with 7000 abus on them for 300 for the pair. They came with rod socks and reels bags and I don't think they had ever seen river sand. But I had them delivered to work and paid with a money order in order to save the marriage...he he he. There are still a few classic cats available new of the telescoping lighter action model, and I may be able to hook someone up with one. Last time I was in Scheels in Omaha a few months ago, they had one.
    I also last spring went to a swap meet and there was a bait shop there whom had the last years model of the Big Cat rods- they are the same as the new ones I think with only slightly lighter guides for about $15 bucks apiece. I got 4 of them. And at a factor outlet mall ( u know the ones your wife loves to go to) there was a fishing outlet storethere that was going out of business. I picked up 4 big iron reels for around a $100. Made 4 nice combos for $160 with the big cat rods.
    I have never been at all a bargain shopper, I have always gotten burned on vehicles and everythign else I have bought, but for some reason , I get some real deals (pun intended) on fishing equipment.
    The only sad part is, I have not gotten to use any of this stuff this year!!!!!!!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would be interested if you could find a Classic Cat, same goes for anyone. If you see any please shoot me an email or PM

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen these rods and they are a great quality rod..I just dont like spending much over 50 bucks for a rod...Now with reels the sky is the limit :D