Clarksville Catfish hunter

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by fekum, Jul 4, 2008.

1. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    Anyone have any tips for Cats in Clarksville. I'm Stationed here at Fort Campbell. Have had a little luck. Me and a buddy pulled in 2 yesterday out of the Red River (I think thats the name). His was about 5 lbs, mine 3. We used live and dead creek chub. We started about 4:30. It poured down rain with bites from White bass and large creek chubs (go figure). Then moved about 100 yds up river and as soon as the rain stopped and the sun came out, BAM, he hooked up with the first cat. While I was helping him take it off a darn Sheep's Head (Freshwater drum to the non-back woods people) took my pole halfway in the water. 10 minutes later I hooked into mine. Brought him in with 6 Lb test, so it was fun. Missed probably 5 more good bites a piece before dark. I fish the Cumberland quite often, with minimal luck. Any tips would be greatly Appreciated. Also anyone been to the steam plant lately? I was wanting to make the trip and wondering if its worth it. I would like to try to get some skipjack. Thanks all. Good luck out there!

2. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Hey Bill, Welcome to the B.O.C:wink:

BIGCAT GarryEads

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

I was in your shoes in January and this worked for me.

What you need are some skipjack! Go to the Cumberland City Steam plant and catch you some. You can use them cut or whole. Mostly you have to cut them because they are pretty big. There is a spot just behind the shopping center (Hooters/Kickers/ect) where the Red River and the Cumberland come together. Fish that spot with cut skips. Throw your line out past the water inlet (the bubbles) and let it drift down stream past the mouth of the red river. I caught a lot of fish at that spot. You have to get there early though, it tends to fill up.

If you can't get in there, go just past the steam plant to where the boat ramp is and there are some good spots right there also.

Other people may know more, but this worked for me. I caught good numbers at this spot and you will love catching the skips

4. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for the Info! Now I just gotta make the trip down there. Thanks for the welcome too. I will let you all know if I catch anything!

5. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    welcome to the boc and I have to agree with Shane about the the two spots I have caught some under the bridge right behind Waffle House too but it can be slow there and some times at the fairgounds at the other end from the boat ramp.

Orrin

6. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    I went to the fairgrounds last year and after two hours, using creek chub, no bites, then when we were about to leave my pole knocked over the driftwood it was propped up on and I picked it up (because I thought it fell) and I pulled in an awesome blue cat. I was about 100 yds south of the ramp. I didnt have a scale, but I would guess 17-25 lbs. Live creek chub. I'm going behind hooters tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill We Welcome you to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interested to hear how your fishing went! Keep us updated

9. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    Our trip to the steam plant was horrible. Not only did we not catch any fish, but we found out theres alchohol is prohibited. No fish, No buzz. We waited for a group to leave the corner and as they left we politely asked if there were all done for the day and, they were like, yeah man, go ahead the spot is yours. Well, there were some dirty old m.... Fers, under the bridge soaking up all the shade (and flies. That dude smelled horrible) when they heard us ask the people, they jumped up and took the spot before we could. Oh well, we took the shade spot. So the outcome was that they didnt catch anything (nor did we) but they got burnt up instead of us

10. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    welcome. i fish from the bank alot. mostly lock c, steam plant, smith branch. im fish cross creeks in dover theres some good spots on the bank there to fish the river. its just past the steam plant on the right go past elk harbor resivor and the dirt road on the right river will be on your right about 1 mile down. deep water there.

11. brotherknothead

brotherknothead New Member

State:
    Ft Campbell, KY
    HEY MAN BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME. YOU CAN'T CATCH THEM EVERY TIME YOU GO. I HAVN'T HAD THAT MUCH LUCK AT THE STEAM PLANTS EITHER. BUT AT THE FAIR GROUNDS ON THE OPPOSITE END, UNDER THE BRIGE AND ALONG THE ROCK WALL THERE, I HAVE HAD SOME GOOD LUCK. WELL, KEEP GOING AND ENJOY.

12. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Sorry that your trip turned out this way. You can also move down the road another 100 meters to the boat ramp and fish that area.

13. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive never went that far before (boat ramp).
    Last Friday, 4 of us went to Lock C. One caught a keeper channel and one caught a keeper blue. Dont know lengths or weights. They were nice fish though. I caught chiggers, 1000 mosquito bites, a 6 inch blue cat, and a buzz. Overall, I give the night of fishing an C+. The guy that caught the blue and I went to this creek around Clarksville and caught about 10 bass a piece (smallmouth and rockbass). Saw some carp, but no signs of cats. Even used skipjack.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bill, here are some places to consider for bank fishing:

Lock C(you know about)

Steam plant area(also know about)

Cross creek area: Many access points for this place. You can drive to Indian Mound and find lot's of access roads to this area. Another place to fish is to go past the steam plant and watch the roads to the right. There is one access road there that turns almost back the way you came from. Follow that on past the boat ramp and soon you'll be driving down the banks of the Cumberland. They are rip rap banks, so you'll have to be very careful and I wouldn't advise drinking while on those banks. But thes banks are some we fish along from the boat. Catch many huge catfish in those areas. Cut bait or live bait is best.

Ferry Crossing in Woodlawn: Drive like you're going to lock C and turn right at the end of Lylewood instead of left. Follow the signs to the Ferry crossing. A few good areas around there to fish.

Lock B north: The north boat ramp is out Highway 12. From the Bypass turn on 12 toward Ashland City. About 10 miles down you'll see the Lock B north road. Follow it down to the river. Boat ramp there too.

Lock B South: Take Hiway 48/13 past the fairgrounds toward Dickson. About 5 miles from the river you'll see a little market called Tri-Angle Market. Take the left there and follow Old Hiway 48 til you see Lock B road. Turn left on this and follow it to the river.

Cheatham Dam is also a good place to fish. Drive up Hiway 12 same as going to Lock B north. Keep going til you see the signs for Cheatham Dam and Lock and follow it.

All of these places have produced some nice fish. Lock C produces a world record Blue cat a few years back. It's not anymore, but it was a 112 lb blue. They used to have a picture of it in Grandpa's. There are many more places than this, but his is a great start. Hope this helps you.

15. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    To add to this at Dover on Hwy 79 just before the bridge is Dryers Creek, fish at the picnic area by the boat ramp, you can caught nice channels.

16. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a great run down of good sites and it demonstrates what makes the BOC so special.

17. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks alot for the lowdown on the spots Whistler. Thats an awesome fish in your profile thingy. I dont know how to do that little special thank thingy yet (NOOB). A bunch of my fellow soldiers and I are gonna try Lock C again tommorow night. I'm Bringing Skipjack, Live creek Chub, dead creek chub, worms, and one guys is bringing chicken livers. With that much ammo, how can we go wrong? Knock on wood. I'll let you all know how we did Saturday!

18. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Sorry I can't give you all my fishing spots cause they won't let me talk that long. I will also tell you all my fishing spots by private message. If you go to where the Red River splits from the Cumberland there are 14 different holes between the Red River adn the last grain bin going north. This is prime big cat territory. My fishing buddy Lim and I always went to the steam plant. We always had good luck. Skip jack is the bait of choice. I would suggest you buy yourself a good throw cast net. Should a fellow put at the fairgrounds in a boat and travel south towards the steam plant I would say there are many holes.

I think you are in the best place you can be to catch a large catfish. Tobacco Point adn Paris Landing are outstanding catfishing places. Land between the lakes has multiple catfishing places. I have more than I can remember if you can take time to tell me where you want to go so I can remember them. Catfishing around Clarkesville TN is outstanding.

Let me know how you do brother.

19. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    I think I have some bad Karma or something. Me and 4 buddies from my unit went to lock C last night from about 5 until 1:30 in the morning. I caught a sheep's head (freshwater drum) and one guy caught a small blue cat (about 14 inches). Thats it! nothing else. The moon was out, the striper were feeding and jumping, the shad were plentiful. I just dont get it. We used skipjack, nightcrawlers, dead creek chub, rancid chicken liver, and shad. I heard they cats are spawning right now. Is that true?

20. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It could be that there still spawning in some areas..How are you fishing???Are you fishing on the bottom??Cause usually during the summertime the fish may be suspended off the bottom..Theres 2 ways I may remedy that.Either I use my slip cork rig and try to figure out where there suspended or I slap on a small foam perch cork on my line close to the bait so that the bait will float up a little off the bottom..I don't fish that Clarksville area but I always hear about they got some good places to fish around there..Well better luck next time..Don't give up...