Clarks Hill In South Carolina

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mcdo2137, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Myself and JimmyJohnny decided to take a quick trip to Clarks Hill to try some new waters. At first I thought the trip was destined to be a bad one!!! We planned on leaving around 2 or 3 o'clock in the evening so we could scout out and find some structure. One thing led to another and some things beyond my control made me become fasionably late and arrive at Jim's house nearly 6:30 pm. As we are loding jim's stuff and about to leave I noticed a big knott on the side of my boat trailer tire, so then I began changing the tire on our already doomed trip!
    Finally got the tire on and we were on the road!!!! Only to stop half a mile down the road to gas up boat and truck..LOL...We just couldn't get going!
    We finally found our way to the lake and got our rods in the water at 10:45pm!! After about a thirty minute wait bam Jim's rod goes down......and the Gar Master begins what would soon be a gar smackdown!!!!!:confused2: Just kidding Night Stalker I know you already have a nickname!!!:smile2: So after about 10 minutes after the first gar I find myself netting the first of several cats that jim would catch (along with about 4 or 5 gar). It was a beauty 26 pound flathead. The rest of the knight was riddled with gar , Stripers and Channel cats biting every now and then. We caught several nice Channel with the biggest around 8 pounds and several in the 4 to 5 pound range. Jim caught most of the fish and out fished me nearly 3 to 1.:sad2: We ended up bringing home 4 stripers and 5 channels with all other fish being released to fight another day! ( including the 26lb flathead)
    We fished until about 9:00am and then had to drive back to Liberty so I am pretty wore out, Think i'll take a nap now.
    Maybe Jim will post some pictures soon as they are all on his camera.

2. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Nice report...Jimmy and I was discussing the other night when we were fishing Hartwell how Clarks Hill is really a untapped resource for large cats...Im glad yall got some and made it a good trip. What were you using for bait? I always had great luck with cut herring, and when I use bream heads I usually catch more gar...:confused2:

3. crashman

crashman Guest

were you guys fishing shallow or deep?

4. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We were anchored in 16-20 foot of water throwing closer to shore for the cats and the stripers came from the deeper side of the boat. It was a rocky shoreline that the flathead came from.

I'm thinking about heading back to the same area and camping out down there or maybe even around Greenwood Lake friday and sat night and do some extended fishing for a day or two!

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad ya'll had a good catch and lots of fun.:wink:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, it was a emotional roller coaster for me not knowing if I was coming or going, LOL.

I had never seen the place during daylight hours nor did Larry know the area so I think we did great for scouting blind as can be.

I didn't take many pics but here is a few. Eight fish made it home with us since they are a little cleaner to eat than Hartwell. We caught more but they were released, including some Flatheads.

Looks like more plans are in the making. Our wives are prolly gonna kill us but Larry and are fishin mode full throttle. We are prolly gonna end up camping etc for the weekend....Looks like we will be eating fish and deer on a open fire.........oh yea...here we go !!!!

Thanks a ton Larry...as always I had a blast ; )

7. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    The 26# Flathead....she was Cpr'ed ; )

8. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    What part of Clarks Hill were you guys at? I'll be down there camping at Baker Creek St Park June 20 - July 5th and would love to find a good spot to anchor up at night along the little river or long cane creek areas.

9. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    guys I have NEVER fished Clark Hill I usually fish Santee but with gas costs ...... anyway can you hook a brother up with some direction?
    :roll_eyes:

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, guys! Fishing a new lake is always a challenge, and you boyz done good :big_smile: And congrats on the nice flattie, Nite Stalker! We're you using any specially marinated lucky scrimps?

11. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Sorry I didn't get back w/you guys we have been gone . Larry will prolly post another thread tonight or tomorrow about the last few days. He knows names of places we went...I'm usually lost.

Pat, no lucky Shrimps this round, just herring and bream while anchored ; ) I bet the hill channels would love it though.

-Jim-

12. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well we made it back from our extended camping trip that lasted until today we departed at 12:00 noon from the camp ground. Let me start out by saying thanks to jim for coming out and fishing with me I had a blast!!!
    Where to start, friday night Started out a little tough, we almost lost an anchor on the first tie up in a brush pile in 30 feet of water. We fished deep water structure with no success. Then we started searching in the dark for for new places to fish, dont remember much about the rest of the night. We ended up catching 7 or 8 good channels and 1 blue in the 5 or 6 pound range and that would finish up night 1.
    Sat morning we were accompanied by my two sons Tyler (9) and Logan (7). We tried drifting for a while....nothing....we anchored for a while .....nothing. Managed 1 white perch caught by logan.:big_smile:
    We decided to striper fish with the boys in the evening. We had been fishing in front of Leroy's Ferry because that is where we camped, but I wanted to go towards the mouth of Little river and Soap creek to cutbait on some points. Anchored up in 20 foot and about 6:00pm Striper started moving in. We caught 10 in the 6 to 12 pound range. It was a joy watching my boys reel in those stripers:big_smile:. I snapped a few pics with my camera phone of the stripers. They quit biting about dark and we took everyone back to Dorn landing to go back to camp and we would do some good ole cattin!!:wink:
    Thats when we noticed a pontoon there that had been out cattin and was preparing to leave. After a short conversation with those guys they offered us the rest of their bait, about 15 beautiful gills of various sizes. What a blessing that would turn out to be, and I would like to say thank you very much!!! They also offered us a few words of advice about drifting in the creek runs. Seems they had been having some luck drifting in about 8 feet of water. Long story short we managed to anchor up on another rocky shoreline with a small point. The bite was slow but the Night Stalker was on his A game!!! The first fish of the night was a 32lb flattie! around 12:00am . Seems like I nodded off for a while then all of a sudden Jim was hooked up again this time I was netting another flattie about 20lbs. Then it was my turn! bam rod goes down and I grab it only to feel a heavy fish on the other end for a few seconds then my leader broke!! Cant explain it but I have had a bad year of that. Jim finished off the night with another flat about 6 pounds. All fish were released!!
    Sunday we moved camp from Leroy's to Hawe Creek. Something about no running water for showers or coffee at Leroys, just wasn't cutting it!!Sunday we caught more gills and grilled out before it got dark. We anchored out twice before calling it a night around 3:00am we only caught 1 channel about 7 or 8 pounds. He seemed to be in full spawn with swollen lips and bite marks on his tail and back.
    This post is getting extremely long as did our weekend but I did enjoy fishing with you Jim and hope we can do it again soon!maybe you could post up some of those pics I took on your camera of those clarks hill hawgs.:tounge_out: Here are my cell phone pics of the stripers the boys caught.

Attached Files:

13. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Just wanted to add my thanks to Larry and his family for having me along this weekend. Watchin them boys was a big highlight of the trip ; )

At one point I caught a 12" striper. While I had him in my hand, a rod went down so apparently I threw him in the water to grab the rod. Suddenly a osprey ( I think ) swoops down, grabs the fish and gracefully flies away. It was a beautiful sight to see. Then, suddenly 2 Bald Eagles swooped in, kicked his arse, and took his fish..... Now that part was really cool,,,LOL.

Pics of the 32# and #20 Flathead, then one of the 12# plus Stripers.

14. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    WOW!! Sounds like you guys had a Ball!! Fish or no fish its great when you can spend some time fishing with the boys.
    When is the best time of the year to fish "the hill" for cats?

15. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Since this is our 1st time there we cant say when is best yet ; )

-Jim-