clarks hill anyone

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by armyfisher, Aug 15, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    I've been stationed here in GA for over a year now (army) and i've done my fair share of catfishing. about 2 months ago my buddy asked me out to clarks hill lake for some night fishing, any chance to get out of the house and get a line in the water i hop on it, that and i aint gotta listen to my ol lady. so for the past 2 months we've been fishing out there every saturday night, for a long story short we tried every thing from using livers, bream, blue back herring, turtle, to anything that is edible. we've caught some decent sized cats i got one that was 4 o.z. from breaking the state record a brown bullhead didn't know the record at the time so i ate em. we have caught some smaller 2-10 channel and blue cats. me personally i dont want to get out there and catch goliath but something in the 20-30lbs range would do me great. like i said i've tried most baits used, we normally fish in the army rec area where the water will get down to about 30 feet, that and the area we do fish in has a lot of stumps, rocks sunken boats you name it. i noramlly cast out my baits leave um there for a while except if i'm fishing with bream or herring i'll reel um in very slowly stopping every oncre in a while to let it sit. if theres something i'm doing wrong let me know brothers, or pray to the fish god for me cause he aint answering right now. thanks a bunch.:big_smile:

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome armyfisher. Nice first post. Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. They ought to be hitting those herring. What part of Clarks Hill are ya'll fishing? Maybe you need to try some different areas.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not even sure where this is. Armyfisher are you at benning or stewart? I will be at Benning early next year. Have been there before, but have only fished the hooch

4. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I have fished Clarks Hill and have come out with several that were around 16-20 lbs. Very nice fish..... if you are familiar with the Mistletoe Camp grounds leave from there going TOWARDS Raysvilles landing. Go about 1/4 to 1/2 mile on the left there will be SEVERAL sloughs up in there. Check those holes up in there good.

I caught them on Jugs within two hours time. Sounds like everything else you are doing is right. If fishing with Rod and Reel and you dont get a bite in 20-30 minutes move up 50 yards or so and try there until you find that sweet spot.

AJ

5. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well i went out fishing last night tried a couple of different places with a buddy of mine, took ya'lls advice a tried a couple of different places that looked pretty good on the map and fish finder. We started at 11 and pulled back into dock at 7, we got a couple of decent bites but the areas we were in were very stumpy and lots of fallen trees so needless to say lots of broken lines even with 40-80lbs braid on um. i had one that broke my new berkley rod right above the foam handle, might have been a gar but the way it was acting could have well been a catfish. my buddy and i fought him for 30 min or so before the rod snapped. my fishing buddy caught a decent sized soft shell turtle probally 30-50lbs them guys are mean as hell. we tried fishing down in "bait fish cove" over by the dam and then in some of the shore on the right of the dam. and for you brother hill jack im stationed at fort gordon. again thank you all for giving me some of your wisdom hopfully one day i can get my picture on here with a grin bigger than a 10 year old getting his first plinkin gun holding up a beautiful cat. again thanks a lot for everything brothers keep up the good fishing.

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    10-4 on the soft shell turtle.