Clarke hill alias "thurmond"

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Tommy Dean, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    Has anyone noticed the change in clarke hill. Seems like the fishing has changed a lot especially since lake russel dam was built up stream, on the savannah river. The creel surveys which i've been checked many times on the hill repeat what i've said when i tell them the lake has changed. They tell me that they hear that a lot. The crappie fishing seems to be in decline, so as much catfishing also. Lot of catfish taken out by commercial fishing.
    I am not exactly the new kid on the block there. I have fished this lake for over 50 years. Telling my age. Oops.
    At one time there was over a hundred boats in anthony shoals any day during the whitebass, hybrid run up broad river. Maybe remembering most of my adventures years ago thru fishing logs tell me the amount of fish caught then vs today is in severe decline. Maybe see 10 boats when i go now. Not many fish caught either. Anybody else notice that. Been a long time since many georgia posts.

2. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Tommy,
    I dont have much experience on the hill. But i met a guy who said he averages about 300 pounds of cats a week in his baskets. Thats one of the reasons i dont make the 1.5 drive to fish there. If one guy is taking out that much, it makes me question how good the cat population is.
    My partner is 71. He says the white bass used to be like that in hartwell too. Heck we havent had much of a hybrid run in the last few years either.
    The spotted bass have taken over most of our old crappie spots. I have to wonder what a gazillion 12" spots are doing to our fry recruitment ever year.

3. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    Yea i know. My trouble is that i have a home there but, i can go to russel. Its only about 6 miles there. I remember when we only had channel cats, and brown bullheads, locally called mudcat. Now there is blue cats and flatheads, which i really like catching. The bull heads have took the gaff though. Not any in creel surveys or electro shocking, for several years now.
    Flat heads and blues seem to coexist tho.

4. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Back in july i drove down and fished the bubbles for stripers. After i called it quits i drove around and graphed some. I only found one little clump of bait in the back of a cove. I decided to throw throw net on it. As i started pulling it up i could feel it hung on something. All the sudden it came lose. As i was pulling it in all the weight went off. I looked down to find a 10 - 12 lb. flathead in my net along with 10 or 12 small bream and crappie. Im thinking there was some wood cover the bream were holding on. Flattie must have been laying under it also.

Tommy Dean and twaskom like this.