Clark soap bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by toddrod, Jan 23, 2007.

1. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    Has anyone tried Clark Bait company soap bait. I am interested in ordering some but wanted to check with members here before I ordered some. It says it is old fashion lye soap made with bacon fat.

2. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I spent a couple summers in New Boston, Ill. fishing the Mississippi, and we used P & G saop and did good with it. Never heard of Clark, but it sounds like it might work with the bacon fat.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I would try use that.. I heard they use soap for trotlines and jugfishing.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I think I will stick with fresh cut bait.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya, me fresh live or cut bait for me.

6. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    soap maybe , in the dead of summer!

7. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I have never tryed any kind of soap for bait. Dont know if i can even get any around here. Let me know how it works

8. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    Well, I ordered some of the Clarks and Redneck soap bait to give a try. down here in Louisiana where I live I do not have any place to catch shad, although I could purchase frozen Menheden as the crawfisherman use them alot for bait. I also normally do not have time to go out and catch a bunch of bluegills before I go fishing. I will be using this for my jugs that I intend on putting out at dusk and picking up the next morning. Thanks for the replies

9. Crazy_Cooter

Crazy_Cooter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I tried redneck's a few different times. I even ran It on my trot line while I was In texas. I used shad, and the soap every other hook, and only the hooks with shad on them caught fish. I have heard of excellent results with rednecks's soap, but have never caught a fish on it myself.

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Ivory Soap works rather well for blues.I wore em out one Lake Wylie one time.

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I ran accross a man the other day that had nice catch of catfish using bush hooks and Ivory soap.
    He said that was all he used on bush hooks he talked about some soap that comes from Mexico can't remember the name he ordered it out of Texas.
    This man must have had 50 or 60 nice fish.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    At times soap is a good bait on trotlines or set hooks we always used P&G but I haven`t saw any in years If you try it on rod & reels you are waisting your time for it has to stay on the hook for a few days for it to be effective:big_smile:

13. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I tried Ivory soap one time, not expecting to catch anything on it. But sure enought I had one big bite that almost yanked a rod out of the boat. I lost the fish before I got it in. So I put soap on a couple more rods, and didn't get another bite with it.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used Ivory soap with some success. Blues and channels will hit shad much better than soap, but sometimes it's almost impossible to keep shad on the hook long enough to catch fish because the turtles eat it off so quickly. The advantages of soap (or marshmallows) is that nothing but cats will eat it; it's clean; it stores easily for a long time; and it often will catch some fish. But if you're willing and able to keep your lines rebaited, you'll probably catch a lot more fish with fresh shad.

The Mexican soap is Zote.

15. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Ivory soap works so say some of the old timers , didnt do anythink for me ! jay jay