Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Went there back in the 80's a couple of times fishn for stripers. Must have loved it, we would go down that night and catch our bait, pull up to the cable and tie up below the dam and sit...........................until they would turn the water lose about noon the next day. Never fished for catfish there and kinda waiting to hear your report

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I'd like to make it over that way this year too. mcdo and I went camping there last year for 3 or 4 days and slap tore them up.

Some folks say if gar are around, the other fish aren't...well, let me tell ya,,,,,,that aint true. We caught Striper and cats one after another..along with the gar, they were everywhere.

I was amazed at the size of the channel cats there. There was a good population of the 10# and over. I don't remember the blues situation but my biggest Flat of the trip was 33#.

I never did good in the colder water towards Hartwell with cats, but the Stripers, when they are there...they are giant ones.

Not sure exactly where we were but the best number of fish came off a shoal just before/after dark.

Hm...mcdo,,,, now that I think about it, we need to plan us a trip out that way again ; )

·
Registered
91 Posts
Clark Hill has some big cats in it...I just got back this past weekend and we caught several channels in the 10 lbs. range and we were fishing for stripers!!! If your at Bobby Brown then I would head south towards the Dam and fish the points/shallows along the way back. Bait should be SUPER easy to catch, just drop a light. Ill be headed back down that way this coming weekend for a definite CATFISHIN' trip, so Ill see what I can do and let yall know.

PS. We caught 115 stripers (5 guys/two boats) in one night!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Quote: PS. We caught 115 stripers (5 guys/two boats) in one night

Wow! ya guys are lucky, we can't keep but 5.

I never did any good at the cable either. Seen some guys haul in some big striper there back when the water would swirl back toward the dam. You had to have a big reel with a lot of line. They would float a balloon up to the dam and when it got right up next to it,bammmmmmm, big fish would usually take off. All i had was the 6500 and it just didn't hold enough line. Heard they done fixed it somehow were it don't swirl back toward the dam anymore. I guess they got tired of all the boats that would tie off to the cable.

Better luck on your next trip

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the water was moving tord the dam.i pulled up to the cable with the troller down and the motor we stayed up ageist the cable.could not fish on bottom kept pulling under rocks. know that i have a descent truck . i will figger the bigger lakes out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd like to make it over that way this year too. mcdo and I went camping there last year for 3 or 4 days and slap tore them up.

Some folks say if gar are around, the other fish aren't...well, let me tell ya,,,,,,that aint true. We caught Striper and cats one after another..along with the gar, they were everywhere.

I was amazed at the size of the channel cats there. There was a good population of the 10# and over. I don't remember the blues situation but my biggest Flat of the trip was 33#.

I never did good in the colder water towards Hartwell with cats, but the Stripers, when they are there...they are giant ones.

Not sure exactly where we were but the best number of fish came off a shoal just before/after dark.

Hm...mcdo,,,, now that I think about it, we need to plan us a trip out that way again ; )
Hey JJ I'm headed out to the hill for a recon trip tomorrow and will likely stay till the weekend. Hopefully I will have some new holes found so that next time we head down (like as soon as school lets out) we can have a better chance of pulling in those heavy fish like what came out of there last year!! Also hope to get on some stripers while i'm out there. Brian thats pretty impressive there 115 stripers i sure would enjoy getting into something like that! Will be staying at Hawe Creek campground till friday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.