Clark Bridge in Alton, IL

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Shortarms, May 10, 2006.

1. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm gonna make my maiden voyage to Alton for my first river fishing adventure. Anybody have any holes they care to share? I was looking at going to the park under the bridge on IL side but have no idea if there is a good spot there. If you do have a recommendation please share the bait you recommend also.

2. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    you gonna be in a boat or on the bank? below the dam is a pretty good spot, and the skips are running. tim

3. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll be fising from the bank. How do you get below the dam? I can't find a map that shows it.

4. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    If you want to get to the best spot take the 367 (clark) bridge from alton towards west alton crossing over the river. Then take the first available left. You will then go up a big hill, and at the stop sign stay straight crossing the east bound lanes going towards alton. go straight passing the fisca station, then the army corps building, and if you have to hit the restroom it is dirty and it is on the left but stay on this road. on the left you will see the dam and you will feel like you have traveled miles the blacktop will turn to gravel and turn hard left. Soon you will smell the fragrant rotting carcasses of the coveted asian carp and then you have arrived.

5. ultima_cat_man

State:
    granite city, ill
    lol, dead on troy, didnt smell today wind was blown too much.. tim

6. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    thought i saw you out there in a blue chevy? i was in a black shirt my wife was out with me she was in the truck

7. ultima_cat_man

State:
    granite city, ill
    ya that was me, i was gonna try for some more skips but seen you and a few others not catching any, man was that wind blowin. did you end up catching any? i may go out tomm. after work again if its not as windy, but the weather man says it will be. tim

8. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Caught a bad case of windburn. Did not see anyone with anything today. I tried for an hour this morning, with no luck. Kinda thought conditions would improve with the sun coming out.

9. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    hey Dirt, what we were looking at on the Mo side of the bridge was indeed a parking lot. There is also one on the Mo side of the damn that is within 100 yds of the damn itself (that spot that I said looked like it might be a good spot.) I got a closer look and I guess they paint them green for the pic and then they overlay a cream color for the road. That is why it looked like the road just jutted out into the "water" and stopped. I think either place would work. We will definitely need some more weights and I will bring some crappie stuff and my net to try and get some skippies.

10. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    buzz, dont know if you know it or not but your illinois liscense is good at the dam on the missouri side

11. ultima_cat_man

State:
    granite city, ill
    actually at the dam both sides belong to illinois. either state license is good there but the actual land is illinois,,,, tim

12. mwrmar4

mwrmar4 New Member

Haven't seen much action at the dam last couple of weeks...last year saw quite a few guys on shore and in boats with several blues and flats over 20lbs.

13. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We were looking at crossing into MO and coming back up under the bridge. Anyone ever have any luck there? Is the IL license good there as well?

14. buzz crackstock

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I'm snelling a bunch of hooks up right now, we just need to make sure we have plenty of sinkers. been thinking about using a straight wire to hold the weight on that is bent and will straighten out when it gets stuck. seen it used in bass fishing, dont know if it will work with a 8oz weight.

15. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Weather ain't lookin' so good. They're talking mid 50's and rain. What do you think?

16. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I think I saw something about this in the library. I guess if you get a light enough copper wire that you can bend it without breaking your line it'll work. let us know how all you guys do, if you go.

17. buzz crackstock

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I've got some warm clothes and 4 or 5 sets of raingear! Little cool weather and precipitation never stopped a true catman.

18. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I have seen guys fish there before, never seen them with any fish, but that does'nt mean it is a bad spot. You'll have to park at the parking lot and walk, or that very nice county police officer will ask you to move your vehicle. Under the dam is just hands down better fishing though because of the current.
    Your license is good on both sides of the river but be careful if you are around a creek, stream, or river that feeds the mississippi, you are not legal in that body of water.

19. buzz crackstock

State:
    Springfield, IL
    hey troy, I have a 5ft throw net, will I be able to get some bait below the damn, will I have to be real careful not to get the net snagged up or is it deep enough along the edge I can let it fall a little. Also, will we be able to catch any bait with crappie jigs on spinning gear. I thought I heard the skipjack were gettin active in that area, any tips on gettin bait on-site would be greatly appreciated.

20. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    You should be able to get bait there it might take you a while sometimes the shad in that area are hard to get. It is not a guarnteed thing though. I've struck out there before and there are a lot of snags. I would start by trying around the boat ramp first. Then I would try the bank side of the river, there is this spot that protrudes out farther in the water than the rest. Right there, there is a slack section of water where it kinda swirls around. I would try there on the down stream side of it. Before you cross the bridge to MO, you might try the ramps down below the bridge, by the marina. If you want to try for skipjack I used a white or green jig, 1/8 or 1/16 oz. head and an ultralight with 6lb test. Every once in a while I got nervous those skipjacks put up a pretty good fight. Since it has turned cold I have had no luck with skippies. There is a good bait shop on broadway in Alton called Bluff City Tackle. They will have bait, and it is close to the river. You might want to stop there and add some weight to your tackle box I've been throwing 12oz and having trouble not drifting down river. Never imagined throwing that much lead before. Not to discourage you but more than likely you'll lose some weight on the bottom below the dam. There is probably a trick to not losing it I just don't know it. Good Luck!