clarification of World Record Blue

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by photocat, Feb 4, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    It is 124 right? there's an ebay auction (#7215991984) right now for a fiberglass fish blank of a 56" record blue catfish that supposedly weighs 132#'s... now i emailed the guy and told him it wasn't 132 and he emailed me back and said it used to be 129 and just got boosted to 132 which isn't right... is he wrong or am i? i haven't heard about any blue being bigger then Cody's (121.5) other then the new 124 which i hate to say i don't know the anglers name who caught it...

Im 99.999999999999999999999999% sure im right about this so if you other members want to email the guy through the link on the auction and correct him too please do, i don't want some niave person buying a lie. maybe its just the seller doesn't know, idk, please help me correct him if im right.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Your right for sure!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I can grant you this, If there was another bluecat caught that was bigger than the CURRENT RECORD OF 124# it would already have 20 different threads talkin about it on here and would have been in the news!!!

4. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    124 is all iv herd of wats the link to that auction so we can email him

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey guys. The current IGFA World Record Blue cat stands at 124 pounds. It was caught by Tim Pruitt of Alton, Illinois this past May. He caught the giant on a Mooneye, on the Mississippi River just south of the Alton Dam near the confluence of the Missouri River. The fish set 3 records. It is the new Illlinois State Record, the new IGFA line class World Record, and the new IGFA All Tackle World Record. As far as a fish bigger than that, its entirely possible. There have been much larger blue cats caught by Alternative methods which the IGFA does not honor. Alternative methods include, jugs, bank lines, bank poles, throw nets, hoop nets, dynamite etc. HaHa. Any Blue cat caught by alternative methods, may be honored in the alternative methods category, but will not be honored by the IGFA as a record for the Rod and Reel Category. Good news is, there are bigger blues than the current 124 pounder, and he already has my name tatood on his gill plate, so you guys can give up. LOL. Best Of Luck fishing this season to everyone. :cool:

6. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Nice fish, but I bet theres a bigger one that has gone uncaught

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    i havent heard of any bigger then the 124

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Now, dont quote me. But I think there was a bigger one caught on a limb line. About that same weight. Not with rod and reel, but limbline.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tennessee lists a state record for alternative methods of 130lbs. I'm not sure if this is the biggest, just one I happened upon:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/FishRecTbl.html

(scroll down toward the bottom to see the alternative method fish)

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i figured out how he got the 132#'s... cause i couldn't for the life of me find any info on it... i went w/ the old standby for calculating weight based on length and girth (lxgxg/800) and plugged in the figures he had which was 56 inches long and i think 43.5 inches around... well it comes out to just over 132 lbs so he's going by that not truely what the fish weighted... annoys the heck outta me though, coulda done a little more research before he said anything....

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats a great formula photocat. That formula is more accurate than alot of scales. They have been using it on saltwater fish for years and it only has an error margin of plus or minus 1 percent. Thanks for sharing with everyone.