Clams

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 31, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    there is this pond near my house, and it is filled with clams, all you have to do is stick a net in the dirt at the bottom of the pond, and you'll pull up at least 5 or 6.. but can clams be used for catfish?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They're probably mussels, and they're very good baits.

3. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Never used them myself, but have caught many blues and channels with mussel shells in them so why not. I say give it a try.

Dale

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    All you can do is bait up a rod and try it. I'd suggest baiting one or two rods with the clams/mussels and the other(s) with whatever you normally use.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Clams/Mussels will work and catch fish. I would suggest you check your state fishing regulations before useing. This is outlawed in some states. Good Fishing

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have used clams taken out of the Mississippi River for catfish bait & had fairly good success with them. I don't know about clams taken from a pond,but some of the clams in the Mississippi River are endangered,and illegal to be taken. Another tip I'd give you about using clam is to let them get good & sour,they work much better than fresh! I'd put them in a jar with enough water to cover them,then add a little garlic salt,and leave them sitting in the sun until they start fermenting. The stinkier,the better!!

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught quite a few cats on clams/mussels. They can be used fresh or 'soured'. I like them a bit on the stinky side since they will stay on a hook very well.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you catch a blue in the Neuse river or the Cape Fear river alot of the times their belly is full of clam shells. Real full.
    What you might think is a fish full of eggs is really full of clam shells.
    Its what most of us refer to as a fresh water clam . Not sure of the proper name but its a mussel in a clam shaped shell about the size of a nickel on average.

9. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    See this channel on my avatar, caught it on a fresh water clam no bigger than my thumb nail.

10. suggy183

suggy183 New Member

State:
    NE
    I have a creek where I know there is a lot of mussels in because I am always finding empty shells the coons are beating me to

11. Jake Latendresse

Jake Latendresse New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    At one time, my dad was the worlds largest supplier of Freshwater mussels to the orient for use of pearl culturing. As a result, we had thousands and thousands of gallons of mussel meat. After the steaming process, we would load them in 55 gallon drums...let them sit in the sun for weeks on end, then dump some of them over our favorite catfish break and Viola...a catfish hole galore.

This was all done on Kentucky Lake in Tennessee...Dont know if chumming is still legal, but it was then and we caught a ton of cats doing that. We would dump bait for three days, then come back on the fourth night and wacked them using cut mussel meat for bait...

We used three 5-gallon buckets full on each chumming night. The older more spoiled the meat, the better it sank to the bottom. We even loaded up burlap sacks and sank them.

Mussel meat is an awesome cat bait....

12. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Clams is what I used to use all the time for catfish when i lived in California for catfish. But now i live in Arkansas, clams are are hard to find in bait shops that are decent size. Yes, they work wonders alot of times.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a video where james (big cat) patterson whom is a catfish guide on the mississippi river talks about big blues with raw swolen mouths from ripping zebra mussels off rocks. its on one of our new sponsers vids.

visual fils vol v mississippi river blues.

in illinois its illegal to take mussels from waters without a musselers lisense. gotta have (or pay) to do anything anymore. i love clams and mussels prob as much as a raccoon does.

14. Jake Latendresse

Jake Latendresse New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if you can talk to a mussel diver or better yet, find a shell camp, you can get all the mussel meat you want without the need for a musseling license. Believe me, they will be glad to get rid of it as it is difficult to dispose of....legally.

a little secret here...cut the "foot" off the meat. it does stay on the hook better, but the fish dont particularly like it (in my experience). Also, it turns to leather and can be difficult to remove from the hook. simply slice it off the body of the mussel meat and toss it...then use the rest of the meat as your bait. For what its worth...we used this technique for many years, refining it by experimenting for the best results. One other thing we found was that the bigger the meat, we would generally catch larger fish...

...especially at night.