Clams for Bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Gordhawk, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever used clams for bait for R&R fishing? If so did you use them fresh or had they aged for awhile?

2. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Sir Gordhawk, Can't say I've used clams fer bait in fresh water but they work great on croakers on the coast. Have used mussels, although they do catch a few channels, they don't compare to shad. Cut or whole.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Catfish love them.....but check your local regulations a lot of mussels are on the endangered species list and some states have a very small possession limit.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Glenn, I have wondered the same thing. I know they eat them little mussels.

st

5. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    yeah, I have caught blues with a bellyfull of those mussells that were still closed.

I can't imagine passing those shells :)

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They are excellent channel cat bait, and last night, my nephew caught a flathead with one. We use them fresh, and usually just pick up a couple on our way to the fishing hole if we see them.

I saw some of the biggest shells I have ever seen on the river last night, they were the size of frying pans!!

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    All of the above for South Carolina and Georgia.Caught Cats for 50+years on clams.