Clamped and mangled bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jmjackson333, May 23, 2007.

1. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Hello, I'm new to the BOC. I haven't read through all the archives and threads yet to see if this question has been answered elsewhere, but... In a recent attempt to catch a flathead, (never have yet), I had two seperate baitfish(5" bullheads) completely mangled! One looked like it had been clamped with a pair of vice grips, absolutely crushed about midway down his body. The other had the skin ripped off his driver's side! Did a flathead do this or just a large channel? I thought flatties were supposed to just engulf the baitfish. They werent cut, just crushed. Therfore I'm ruling out snapping turtle. On the second one, I and my partner, (this was during a neocats tourney) witnessed the float SLAM under the water. Only to emerge instantly never to twitch again. I had the first one hooked through the lips then I hooked the second one through the tail. Any thoughts?

2. JHow

JHow New Member

State:
    South East
    I can't answer that, but I had the same thing happen. I was checking my trotline, and I found a dead 6-8" lil' channel cat on it. It was mangled pretty bad as well. Its skin was scratched all over, not cut and slashed like a gar would do. Wish that cat would have eaten its way up a few more inches!

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    This is just a guess but the bullhead that was crushed was probebly hit(kill bite) by a flathead. They hit it and back off a little and comeback to finish it. The one that had skin tore off on side sounds like gar, they don't have the power in their jaws to crush it. They just grab and rip.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had flatheads grab my bait but not get the hook and rip the skin off of my bait. When i start to get bites i just wait untill i know for sure that they are on because they will sometimes toy with your bait for a while.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Could be turtles....they will eat live to dead and rotten.

:cool2:

6. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Id go with turtle idea ive had them do that to my fish all the time.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    jmjackson333 welcome to the BOC!

8. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yeah i have to agree with whiskerwarrior, its eitherr a nice size turtle or a MONSTER flat or blue.

good luck hope u can catch "it" lol

9. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Yeah, I've had a lot of turtles tear up my bait, but this looked different, at least to me... Thanks for all the info!

10. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I think flatheads will strike the bait, and kill it alot of times, them come back to take it. Sometimes they never do come back. But im guessing it was a flathead, i have had plenty of quick strikes, then nothing for a few minutes, then all of the sudden the rod will just slowly start to go down..Thats just my experience and my opinion. Thats the classic flathead bite on the Ohio River.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have to agree with Matt.
    When you get that hard hit, be very patient. I sometimes takes them up to 20 minutes to return for it. 8 Times out of 10, they will be back.

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    SOUNDS LIKE A FLATTY,THEY'LL SIT AND CRUSH THEN SWALLOW THEIR PREY.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used live gills before and had flatties pick them up and crush the heck out of them without taking them all of the way in. it is probably a flatty but it could also be gar or a turtle. it is hard to say for sure. i would bet on the flathead idea though.

14. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like a big flatty or possibly a turtle. Ive had the same thing happen with a big hit and then nothing happens. Usually a turtle wont cause a huge hit like that.

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yep-flat
    probably bit it, came back, pulled it, didnt get the hook, realized it was stuck and gave up.

16. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Most of the time I have dealt with turtles they take chunks out of the fish. They really take bites. A flathead will smash a bait fish...but I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the bait compared to the fish and it would not shock me to learn they prob attack different prey in different ways.

17. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

18. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    I was running my trotline in Richland/Chambers lake last weekend using live perch for bait. We were taking some nice blues off and about mid-line brought up about a 40 to 50 lb. yellow cat. We eased the line back down to get the net ready and brought him up easy. He came to the top, and let go of a 4 lb. blue cat that he had totally engulfed. He had not been hooked and just did not want to let go of his dinner. The blue was dead and had skin torn off and was in a mess. I don't know if your bait was hit by a yellow cat, but it sounds like what happened to me. Pat Muckelroy