Clam muscles for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by wolfman, Sep 17, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    We found some clam muscles the other day while fishing for bait and that night broke the clams open and used the muscles for bait. We got a few good hits but didnt catch nothing. Just was curious if anyone has ever had success using them for catfish bait?

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Hey Walt. Eric told me about a place on the Ohio, just up from Henderson, where there is a clam bed. He said he fished it one time and had some luck there. I don't remember where it is, but I am sure he would tell you about it.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hello Walt ..We use them all the time up here in cali ...they work great for the channel's and even catch a few striper's on then too ... they stay on your hook great... you should give them a try.:wink:

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've tried several times as a kid. never caught anything on them. but, about 2 weeks ago a buddy and i went to mill creek and caught about 7 fish. when we cleaned them one of them had something hard in it's stomach/intestines. i cut it open and it had mussel shells stacked inside each other. it was wierd. each one of them had several smaller ones inside of them. of course, there was no mussel meat left in the shell. i counted 6 in one shell. their stomach must have been packaging up the waste like a prank x-mas present.

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    blues AND flatheads both eat zebra mussels, and blues love clam mussels, just watch which ones you use, some are endangered and will cost you a ticket.

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have never got the chance to use any but i have heard that they are good catfish bait.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Caught a 55 lb'er this summer that spit up a whole clam, meat intact, onto the deck of my boat.

Ever since then I been thinking 'bout locating a mussel bed.:big_smile_2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Late spring, early summer, I've caught blues that were absolutely chock full of clamshells.

9. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    They make great bait but Slimcat makes a good point, many mussels species are threatened or endangered. Make sure you use the right variety.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just read an article in Yahoo news within the past two days stating the mussel's in U.S. waters were becoming extinct. Help the mussels out guys - use shad. LOL

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use them all the time and are great cat bait.But like some others have said just make sure you dont use the endangered ones.