Clam muscles for bait ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catfishwalker, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Catfishwalker

Catfishwalker New Member

State:
    Sebree, Kentucky
    Has anyone tried clams for bait? Do they work best for blues,channel cats or flatheads?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Some state have laws on using muscles. Not sure about Ky. Fish like them, and will feed on them. Sometimes you can catch a fish and they will rattle from the shells inside.

3. Littlejack

Littlejack New Member

State:
    nc
    I used some freshwater clams once a couple years ago and caught a few,small blues.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used clams and liked them for most of my life.

Many are now PROTECTED.Know your species or leave them alone.You can get jail time and a big fine over the wrong one.You are also responsible for children's actions who are under your supervision.

My source of info. was a Federal Warden.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    it is not for me catfishwalker it looks like it would be good bait:crazy:

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    dont get :big_smile:

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would highly recommend you not use any clams/muscles that you find in your local waters. I work with aquatic applicators and attend their training. I found out last fall that most native mucles/clams are not threatened or endangered and that possession or harm can result in large fines, jail, or both.

If you have Zebra Mussels in your area, then if the native species are not on the decline, they will be. These Zebras will cover and starve all native species in their area.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    growing up i used mussels for bait a lot, especially during high water. we would dig the sand around the bank and find them about the size of a quarter. we'd split them open, cast them upstream, and let them float down without any weight. the channels really liked them there. during the spring in several waters around here, you can find mussels bigger than your had all along the bank. the racoons love them, but i have never caught a fish in still water with mussels.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Out here we can find them around the spillways on the canals. Im not sure but I think that they are called zebra mussles. Channels can be caught with loads of them in their bellies. I dont know about flatheads though. I only catch them on fish.

10. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    We used to use freshwater clam meat on Lake Havasu when I was kid, but we used them to catch baitfish, then we'd use the bluegills we caught for channel cats. But as some of the other guys have been saying, some shellfish are protected , so do your research,or pay the piper.

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Clams are a great bait for Channels out here in the California Delta. :big_smile:
    :wink:

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    They work good as long as its not the protected ones.but they work great on channels and bullheads.

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Gary welcome to the BOC i have never tried them but im sure they would work.

14. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Gary I fished w/ clam meat last year just b4 huntin season came in and I caught a right # of white and bullhead cats!! But Ive been reading about the protected ones and since I dont want to waste the time to find out which is which Id just go w/ cut-bait, livers, night crawlers, ect...... the list is very long!!

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Here in Ohio our clams don't have muscles. The ones that do will kick you a$$ if you mess with them.... j/k

Mussels are completely protected in Ohio. That said, when I was young (25 years ago), I knew of "friends" that used them. They were absolutely killer bait for channels and it was reputed to be excellent Blue Cat bait. Remember that a big cat can and does crush clam shells regularly (talk about fiber for your diet) so I guess God does have a reason for it.

16. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know a ditch that has them. They are around 3 to 4 inches long. I've read they are good bait but I've never had any luck with them.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is a good article in the feb. issue of in- fisherman about catching bluecats on muscles. Sometimes their diet is made up of about 90% muscles in the springtime!

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i know a fella from up north that runs lines. he uses them and says there great baia and catches alot on them. i personally dont mess with them. illegal in ill to remove muscles from waters.

19. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Do ya' think storebought , saltwater clams or mussels would work??

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know I have found alot of muscles in channels but trying to get them and the grief your gonna get when that one boat rolls up on ya aint worth it,I aint possitive but I am prety sure there protected here to:eek:oooh: