Clam in belly of cat fish

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Cattracker16, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    The wife and i went fishing today in the mississippi and caught 7 keepers when i cleaned them up and filleted them off i desided to open the gut sac to see what they had been eating. and what it looked like is clam. The wife was using stink "sonneys" and i was using sonneys and fresh shad. The question i have is the cats getting the clams or is some1 missing the bite and they getting robbed of there clam? Thanks in advance

kenny

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    if they are big enough, they can crush the small clams shells. by the way, i love to use sonnys stinkbait. just tryin to support iowa! lol

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Amen on the Sonny's Later Andy

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I 've heard that the Zebra Mussele is good bait ,and we do have them here in Iowa.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Clams are a good bait:big_smile:

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Never had it happen to me, but I heard that in the winter time, the blues and channels will sometimes eat so many fresh water mussels that when you shake them, they'll sometimes rattle. Don't really know if its true or not, but they definately eat a lot of 'em. Then they'll later spit up the empty shell. Hope this answered your question.

-Red