CJ Brown shad?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ellis, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Anyone know where i can catch shad at the CJ? ive tried at the marina and the boatramp but no luck. Only one or two crappies. Im using a cast net

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Doc will chime in for ya, he has been killing the shad out there.

3. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You are in the right spots, so my guess would be you are there at the wrong time of the day.

Try very early morning before 6am (especially at the ramps - once boats get to putting in they scatter).

They can be caught all around the ramps and the breaker wall - try the lake side of the breaker wall out on the point. In the marina - as you enter the marina head to the right side; they can be caught all along the concrete wall and the riprap there.

Lastly, if you head up to the north end in 6 fow or less well after dark, you can pretty much toss your net anywhere randomly and pick up several. Just shine your light around and when you see them jumping out of the water - give it a try. I often do this while I'm fishing up there and always catch some.

One thing to think about is that the ramp/breakwall area is getting hit pretty hard for shad regularly by baitdealers. I've seen the same van and guys loading up on buckets full more than once in the last few weeks. Shad is getting harder and harder to come by in our area. I get them all over and I run into others almost everywhere. If you find a good spot keep your mouth shut, or it won't last for long.

Good luck!

4. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Thanks ill try that.

5. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    i didnt even know it was legal to use cast nets around here i always used a big dip net and a flashlight il hafta give it a try!!!