CITGO Two Cyle Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by randallewis, Aug 30, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I run two late model Mercury Outboards and have used only Quicksilver oil at $16.95 a gallon. The Academy is selling Citgo two-cycle TC-W3 motor oil for $4.99 a gallon. Is this oil comparable? I hate to support Chevez but, is this a deal?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read an article somewhere that said that the motor company's oils really are better - better additives, etc. They copst more, but considering the cost of the motors, I stick with the good stuff.

I'll be interested, though, to see what the guys with more mechanical expertise have to say.

3. Bigjonrigger

Bigjonrigger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trust me fellas, I work on alot of outboards. If you want your motor to last stick with a manufactures grade of oil. The aftermarket stuff is not as highly refined, contains more ash and will cause a more rapid build up of carbon and other deposits. All you have to do is tear one down and you'll see the difference.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Randall.. I'm no expert but I can tell you whats worked for me.

My Yamaha 85 HP is going on 14 years, I bought it new. It starts and runs like day one. The motor has never been touched. I add stabilizer ever winter.
    My owners manual says use ANY outboard TC-W3 oil.
    I use Walmart Outboard 2 cycle, TC-W3.

I always go by my owners manuals on any vehicle... been working for me for 51 years. I don't take the advice of a local dealer or someone that thinks they know more than the engineers that designed the motor.

Right now I drive a Avalanche, the owners manual says change oil when the Oil Life Monitor says to or once a year... which ever comes first. I been having to change by the OLM, it comes on at around 8000 miles. Also I don't use synthetic oil for it's not required.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Welcome aboard drew and I ain't starting no oil piss fights here but what you are saying sounds more like a salesman talking then a tech.
    I have torn down a few myself and I have an 85 h/p 1975 model that has never felt anything but costal when my brother owned it and wal-mart super tech since I have owned it and I will put the cleaness of the motor as far as carbon build up is against any you tear down with dealers choice oils.
    Its all in the maintance and if itTCW-3 rated or not.
    I hear a lot of talk about amosol (spelling) oil at 13 to 15 bucks a quart and I know they claim you can run it a 100:1 mix but I have yet to find where its TCW-3 certified. I don't buy it.
    It ain't as much as the oil now that cokes them up as it is this cheap refined fuel that they push on us at these high prices.
    I have to stay in my price range so I use super tech and it has served me and many others well.

6. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Thanks Bubba. I think you are saying if its TWC-3 certified its Ok Its just those foreigners own Citgo

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thats it in a nut shell
    One thing I will add. If you are running a VRO then empty your tank before adding a different brand of oil.

8. Bigjonrigger

Bigjonrigger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the welcome bubba. Don't worry I'm just a mechanic, no salesmen here! I should have been clearer though. I do work at a new boat dealership and my experience is mostly with late model stuff. Where I see problems with oil is the "new 2 strokes" (optimax, e-tec, hpdi). Lots of expensive spark plugs. The old carb motors aren't as touchy.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well I wont start any oil fights either but I will say this.The engine companies construct their oils from available additives that they feel specifically fit the needs of their engines.The Mercury Optimax and Verado are good examples.The Optimax oil is now semi synthetic and the Verado requires a different package to support the higher rpms of the supercharged engines,which is a 4 str.I have read numerous articles in the boating mags that compared oils and the results are usually the same.The generic oils meet TCW-3 standards, some of them ,just barely.GENERALLY the cheaper oils contain less of the required additives.NO company is going to make an oil that will get them sued.My advice would be and is this.If you can afford it, use the engine makers oil.You will never go wrong with that and you will never have any warranty problems due to oil.If you cant afford it use a TCW-3 oil by a reputable oil company like PENNZOIL,SHELL etc.After all oil is their business.BUBBA is right.Most of our problems come from the fuel we get today,not the oil, but the oils job is to compensate.I buy the Optimax oil when boat stores have sales,or ask for it for birthday and Xmas gifts.I look at it as a cheap investment in keeping that 15k$ engine running well.:smile2:

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I stick to Evinrude oil in my Evinrude. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

(Not really)

11. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    I'm with BUBBA on this one. I'ved used Wal-Mart oil
    for 16 yr's no problem . as for the gas i use SEA-FOAM in
    every tank full.

12. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    It all really boils down to who is making the oil that Wal-Mart and others sell. These large companies get a good oil company to package a product for them and put the label on it such as Wal-mart or Bass-pro. In reality you could be buying exactly the same oil just with a different label on it.

13. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I read somewhere that Quaker State mfg the Super Tech for Wal Mart

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    From the container:

Super Tech Outboard 2 cycle oil, TC-W3.
    Exceeds ALL warranty requirements for ALL makes of High Performance Outboard Engines. Including Mercury, Johnson, Evinrude, Yamaha, Nissan etc.
    :smile2:

15. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois