Cirlcle or Kahle hooks on jugs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stinkbaitjunkie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    I was just wondering which works better on a jugs. I use the jugs made from pool noodles. I have kahle hooks on them and i have caught a few. Tell me from your experiences thanks. Also what size would you recommend.

2. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Kahle hooks, size 4/0 and bigger.

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Since the way the fish set the hooks in them selves anyway is through a tug on the jug (excuse the rhyme) i would go with circles...

The size would just have to depend on the bait. If your using something like live bluegills, i would use anywhere from a 2/0 through the nostrils to a 6/0 or 7/0 through the back just behind the dorsal fin. For Livers, i'd go 2/0 -4/0... cut bait anywhere from a 1 to 1/0 to 8/0 depending on the size of the cut bait. and so on and so on... the only bait i never use a circle hook on is crayfish,

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've got 8/0 circles on mine.

Ive caught as small as a 3# blue and as large as 30# using them.

5. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I use kahles and circles both in the 7/0-9/0 range.Always works for me with live,cut or whole shad.:cool:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's my stock answer: It depends. For over 20 years, I used big eye trotline hooks on my jugs; then, a couple of years ago, I switched my jugs to kahle hooks. (I left trotline hooks on my guest jugs.) The kahles definitely seemed to have a better hookup rate than the trotline hooks, but there were a couple of drawbacks: first, they have a very small eye, requiring that I tie a small loop of line to each hook to use attaching it to the jugline dropper; second, the kahle hooks just didn't hold up like the trotline hooks. Many of the kahles required replacement before a single season was over. Last summer, I decided that the kahles just weren't worth the extra effort, and switched completely back to big eye trotline hooks, preferably 5/0.
    The only time I use circles is when I'm trying to keep the hook from getting hung up (on something other than fish). I'm planning on making up some very short juglines with circle hooks this spring and fishing them in shallow water right among thickets of snags, stickups, stumps, etc.

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jerry, you said you used circles when ya didn't want to snag up. Do they really seem to help? I've had a lot of trouble with this in the past, not only on drift wood but as they get close to the banks among the tree roots.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yes, I think that circles make a big difference in fishing heavy woody cover. Try this with a J hook, a kahle, and a circle: hold the hook by the eye and close your other hand over the rest of the hook. Now, try to pull the hook out by the eye. Be careful that you don't stick yourself too deeply. If you have the same results I had in this test, the J hook sticks; the kahle sticks; the circle slides out of my hand without sticking. (That's why you can't set the hook with a circle.)