circles to king kahles

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Apache Flats, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I am thinking of switching from my circle hooks to king kahles. I use 6/0-8/0 gama circles now and want to switch to 9/0 kahles. I have never used anything other than circles for 3 years and I always hear great things about eagle claw king kahles. What is your opinion, I need a little advise??? Thanks

:confused2:

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I never use circle hooks. I find pleasure in setting the hook really hard and rippin some lips. That's why I use the expensive Gamagatsu octopus hooks and the more economic King Kahles.

Eagle Claw King Kahles are the most versatile hooks on the market. You can give them the "Bill Dance" hookset or you can treat them like circle hooks and REEL IN!

One problem I see in the King Kahles is that the hook point gets dull after a few fish or when snagged up. Just make sure you have a hook sharpener around so you can re-sharpen your kahle when it's gets dull.

But the best thing about the King Kahles is that a box of 50 cost no more than $6.

3. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Really? My box of 9/0 cost $15 and change. Where are you getting 50 packs for $6?

By the way, I switched from Octopus to King Kahles and I love them. They have helped my land 2 50lb+ Flats in two trips out.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I love Kahles and use them 95% of the time. I even have some 2/0 for the bullheads. Its the best of both worlds.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Try those 10/0 kings in the winter with some monster baits:eek:oooh::big_smile: Better sharpen them a "little" though there about 15 bucks to 18bucks a box average. You can do either with them if they are sharp,,,cross there eyes:tounge_out: or let them pull & hook themselves..excellent big-bait hook from my experience.:big_smile:

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Sounds like I'll be making a good choice in switching, I will love to rip his lips out for the first time instead of letting the rod load up. I need to see the difference, I find that by using circles I only get half of the fish I hook into and this is very frustrating to me. Hopfully it's not something I was doing wrong.
    :crazy:

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Sounds like something is "fishy":eek:oooh::tounge_out: I dont exclusively use king kahles i use circles a lot...i get better than half ratio on hook ups...probably close to 8 out of 10...gotta make sure those circles are sharp & the "gap" is plenty clear to catch in the jaw....from what iv'e seen most folks are trying to put too big of bait on the circles that will cut ya way down & using cheap imitation circles will cut ya way down also:tounge_out:

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    There has been quite a few times they just grabed my bluegills by the head is part of the reason. I am using gama circles so I think they are quality hooks and my hooks are always sharpened prior to use. So I think maybe they were smaller cats that grabbed my bait?

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use Eagle Claw King Kahles in 9/0 and I love them.....I will never use anything else again. They are extremely sharp right out of the box and I give $17.00 a box for them. They are large enough to fish a very large bait and strong enough to land a very large fish. Since I started using them my hook-up rate is 100%.:wink:

10. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I have only used Kahle hooks for the last 8 years. Most fish get hooked on the lips. I use a size7/0 for cut bait. I love setting the hook, that is why I use Kahle. Bass pro shop usally sell the small sizes bulk for around 6 to 7 dollars, but the larger size are a little more and I have to order them on-line.

11. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use circles and kahles, I also like to rip lips off so for me kahles are the way to go.