Circles & Clickers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jul 6, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    will a clicker mess a Circle hooks function up, i like my clickers and i like circles, i would like to know

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anytime I use a circle hook I tight line, now you can let the clicker go off then pick up the pole and lock it down until he sets the circle hook in its mouth, with a sweeping side motion with the pole then.

3. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Thats a good question. Personally I would not think it would have much of a effect. As long as the bait alert is working smoothly and lettin line go out while its clickin I would think you should get a good hook up. Its not like you would be setting the hook, you have alot more force then, which would jerk the circal hook out. I beleve your okay. You should get some more replys about this one. I could be wrong. Hope I could help.
    Marshall

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A circle hook must have enough pressure to rotate and set or you just end up with a lousy hook and plenty of lost fish and cussin.

I spent a year trying to fiddle with it.

Solution: Tight line with the clicker on an a loose drag. I use abus so I have the star drag on the handle side of the reel. I loosen the drag so that once there is a solid bow in the rod (in other words a hookset) that the fish can take line and the clicker sounds. It has been MY experience that trying to time a run with flipping the lever and letting the fish load the rod..... well that's just too technically involved for me and I lose fish. Either use a j hook and use your clicker, or us a circle hook as it was designed.

Good luck, and hopefully you aren't as hard headed as me.... an entire season of circle clicking meant very few big fish.....

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    then should i switch to kaels

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Lock and Load.

Leave the clicker off with circles.
    The only time you need one on is if your asleep or not able to watch a rod. Do as Shawn said if you must have it on and dont open the bail. Just loosen the drag a little and set the clicker on.

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    [ I use abus so I have the star drag on the handle side of the reel. I loosen the drag so that once there is a solid bow in the rod (in other words a hookset) that the fish can take line and the clicker sounds. ]

Hey this is great info for me. It may explain some of my problems with catching misses and not fishes. Thanks.:tounge_out:

8. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Sharp circle hook.
    Reel locked.
    Rod in steel rod holder.
    No streach braided line.

NO CLICKER!!!:wink:

This system has been a large part of my success when guiding. The harder the catfish hits........the quicker the DOUBLE ACTION catfish hook smokes um!:cool2:

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so a cliker will mess the function of a circal hook up

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The clicker has NO effect on the circle hook. Leaving your reel in freespool does. Check out Shawn's post again, his setup is about exactly the way I run mine and I rarely miss a fish and I sleep a LOT when I'm night fishing:smile2: Leave enough drag to provide resistance sufficient to set the hook, but not so much that the fish can't take line and run the clicker. Again, Shawn's is probably the best explanation of the technique I've seen. Quality circles like Team Catfish, Gamakatsu's, Owner's, etc. are wicked sharp and don't take a ton of resistance to penetrate.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Clicker in freespool = best way to fish if you don't have a solid rod holder. The clicker may scare off some timid fish before you engage the reel, but that's better than having your rig pulled in the water.

Clicker with reel engaged and drag set = best way to fish when you have a good rod holder. The fish is hooked by the time the clicker goes off, and the clicker has no effect on your hookup rate. Use the clicker or don't, in this scenario it is just used to get your attention and let you know that you have a fish on when you may not be watching your pole closely.

The above applies whether it's a circle hook, J hook, kahle, etc.

12. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i know it seems to be against convention, but i use circles with a clicker. once the clicker sounds i'll turn it off, pick up the rod, and feel if the fish is still taking out line. if it is, i'll turn the rod at a 90 to the line and reel up the line as fast as i can until the fish is on, then gently sweep the rod to the side. the fish i've missed this year have been missed because they didn't have the hook in their mouth or the hook ended up turned into the bait. all in all, works pretty well for those times you don't feel like starring at rod tips all night long.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    After hooking a cat on a circle hook I feel its so very important to have a steady constant retrieve. With this in mind I lock er down, drag set pretty tight and clicker off. I've lost to many fish reaching for that clicker button or tightening down a star drag.

Every extra step you take increases the chance of the fish gettin off. Locked down, clicker off and line tight gives you the MOST direct way of getting your fish in.
    A fish hits it, you reel her in...no other steps involved. If you give them one second of no pressure they will be gone.

-Jim-

14. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    You'll only do that once with light line and a trophy fish.

15. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ya think ? It aint my first rodeo. Common sense tells ya that locked down means drag set to what it needs to be.... never said locked all the way with no drag allowance like your trying to make it sound. If you fish for big cats you aint fishing with #12 test anyway .I use circle hooks day in and day out, you don't. Thanks for the comment...next time don't interrupt other peoples posts that are trying to help some one else...it's rude......nuff said !!

Gone fishin !!
    -Jim-

16. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I was afraid you would take it that way. I apologize for what you consider rudeness. Anger at a keyboard is kinda rough. If you read my posts above I went in depth trying to help the poster same as you.

I do fish circles day in and day out so lighten up. If you read what I said, I said tighten the drag to a point where the weakest point of your terminal tackle doesn't break. I also said you can use your clicker on lock down. You can still reel without messing with the clicker, it's just noisy. Once you have control of the critter you can adjust your clicker and drag while fighting the fish, and it doesn't take a lot of talent.

BTW, to date, on Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circles I have caught a 27lb flat, a 32 lb flat, a 62 lb blue, a 20 lb blue, and a 72lb 8oz blue, so I guess, although not a pro who fishes daily, I might have just a little experience.

BTW, common sense to you and me might not be common sense to a newbie. I have a friend who locked down his drag to get out of a snag and forgot after he rerigged.... he lost a good fish.... he only did it once.

Have a nice day sir.
    nuff said!

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i need a sinker that wont get snagd up i use hem bank sinkers on a three way swivel and i get hung up is there a beter sinker to fish rip rap or tailraces

18. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Try a sinker slide. When it gets hung up the sinker slide comes out and you only lose a sinker not an entire rig. I need to do that myself.

19. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I use them together with great results. I'm a bank fisherman, and don't care much for rod holders. I like to keep my rods low, thus, I crank my baitrunners down just tight enough to keep from losing a pole, and it always results in a screaming run. I've had better results this way than using a holder.

20. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Shawn,

I aint mad nor will I ever be mad at ya but " Anger at a keyboard"??? nice touch but no sale..

One thing I will do is speak my mind when someone dares to quote me. Don't confuse anger with standing up for myself. You quoted my posted but you didn't think I would say anything about it.....If ya thought I might take it the wrong way I'm confused why you posted it ??...... Hm

As far as you and circle hooks....well I could have sworn that you and Rollo were asking about using circles before you went out of town and caught those biggins ???.....That must have been someone else. I will look it up, if I'm wrong , I apologize...

I just go by what I read. And when I read my post it says " drag set pretty tight ".

I'm I reading wrong or you ? I never said lock the drag down....just the reel.

I agree that turning off a clicker or setting your drag while fighting a giant cat fish don't take a 4 year degree but I know MANY people that have lost fish from taking that brief moment...... especially when you have a whisker hooked fish. It would make a interesting poll on the BoC.

How many people have lost a fish while adjusting their drag or clicker ? "... I doubt I would be the only one that has lost a fish.

-Jim-