Circle slip bobber tactic

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KnotGillty, Apr 30, 2008.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I plan on using circle hooks this summer in conjunction with slip bobber techniques. Here's my dilema,

Normally, with regular J-hooks & slip bobbers, I put enough weight on the line so that the slip bobber is barely buoyant. This creates less resistance from the bobber when the cat takes the bait which in turn means that he is less likely to let go of the bait.

However, I'm not sure if this is the best tactic now that I'll be using circle hooks with my slip bobbers. I'm almost thinking that I should begin using a larger slip bobber than in the past. It seems that a larger slip bobber will create more resistance as a fish takes it underwater. This extra bit of resistance seems like a better tactic for circles because it would keep the point of the circle hook in the corner of the fishes mouth (even if he tries to spit out the bait). Of course, a slow load of the rod would be in order after all that takes place.

Not that it matters, but most of the channels I'm targeting are in the 10 - 25 pound class.

Any of you catmen have any opinions on whether it makes sense to use a bigger slip bobber with circle hooks than one would normally use when fishing with regular J-hooks & slip bobbers?

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    This is the size I use and it works fine.

Attached Files:

3. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    But what size cats are you catching on that rig? Add a small weight and a big piece of bait and it might not stay afloat.

Again, I'm fishing a lake where 10 to 25 pound channels are not uncommon.

I was just thinking because of the bigger fish (& bigger mouths), that a bigger slip bobber (hence more resistance when it's pulled under) would serve better for circles. I'm not talking a jug, just a bigger slip bobber.

4. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    use a katbobber from mean gene. i use this bobber with circle hooks and the 5# cats can pull them down no problem & use 20z sinkers for cats up to 25 #