Circle or straight

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 9, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I HEAR ALOT OF PEOPLE SAY CIRCALS ARNT THE WAY TO GO WITH FLATHEADS IS THIS TRUE , IVE MISSED ALOT OF BIG RUNS LAST NIGHT WITH THE 8/0 OCT CIRCAL GAMMAS, LET ME KNOW WHAT U RECOMEND FOR FLATHEADS

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I only use circle hooks for blues, I never set the hook when fishing for blues either. I let the hook do the work! I always use a 7/0 j hook for flatheads, I think it is hard to not set the hook on flatheads. most of the time Flatheads don't just take off with it like blues do.

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i dont use circle hooks much at all for ANYTHING, i have bad experiences with circles coming loose in good fish (but that happens with any hook). I use Kahle hooks or J hooks while fishing good flathead water because I get to set the hook on THEM so it will be my fault if i loose the fish, not the hooks.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You told me with your post why you missed those fish. Do yourself a favor and trust that the hook will do its job... if you let it. Put that thing in a rod holder and don't flip that lever on the reel. Set your drag where he can't break your line. Newsflash! A flattie doesn't need to run. If he feels resistance, he has the power to take what he wants. Believe me, I have lost many a fish trying to mix J hook style with Circle Hook Style.

Good Luck,

Shawn(Coshocton)

5. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I don't use the circles on rod&reel. I'd rather set the hook.

6. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    all i use is circles. anywhere from 7/0 to 10/0 and i have no complaints.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    80% is done with circle hooks and the other 20% khale hooks. I only switch to khales if I am using one of my stiffer rods.

8. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    For the last year now ive been using circle hooks.I dont buy or use any other hooks anymore for catfishing

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    When fishing for flatheads, I use mainly j style or khale hooks. I hook probably almost 100% of the flatheads that hit. If you use J style or khales, there is a very effective way to set the hook. LET THE FISH LOAD THE ROD.
    These fish are used to getting pricked in the mouth. Ever hooked a big fish that didn't know he was hooked right away?

I use circles every now and again for flats. Again, I hook almost 100% of flatheads that hit. The difference is in the rod. If I use flexible rods, I use circles. You need a good flexible rod for circles to work at there best.

The only reason I use J style more often is I like stiff rods when fishing near cover. Trying to stop a big flathead from running into cover is hard enough with a stiff rod.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I fish with nothing but 8/0 Gamma circles. Have caught all species and weights with them. You're gonna miss hook sets from time to time with any kind of hook. They get the job done for me.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I use 8/0 Gamma's almost exclusively for flats and blues. I try not to get out of my chair until there is a bend in the rod. I don't miss many and I'm happy with them.
    The only time I don't use circles is if I'm fishing tight to snags, then it's 8/0 or 10/0 Gamma Octopus.
    When they take the bait I set hard and pull hard to try and get them heading my way before they know what is going on.
    The hook will hold or it won't but if you let them take any line at all it's usually game over.
    I have tried 10/0 King Kahles but still undecided about them...W

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    could i be that these big runs are gar.i use circles and the only fish i have trouble with are gar.they are almost impossible to hook on a circle.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I prefer kahle hooks when fishing for flatheads.

14. bwickcats

bwickcats New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok guys I'm new to the forum but I figured I'd add my two cents here. I use circles almost exclusively for flattys. I figure that when the fish has thuroughly swallowed the bait, he'll move off and the hook will set because its been totally consumed lol. I have no complaints with J style hooks I just prefer circles.

15. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC JOE! Everyones input counts around here!

Matt

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I pretty much only use circles but everyone has there favorite hook, I love 8/0 to 15/0 with a big chunk of skip on it or they are perfect for puttin in the back of a big blue gill.

17. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used circle hooks and J hooks and have had good success with both. Circle hooks are a little more pricey, but are good in places where fish are actively feeding. J hooks are good too, at times they will hook flatheads deep. If you look at this post people have obviously had success with both, the only thing to remember is to fish them correctly and they will both work.

18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've missed to many runs using circles. Now I only use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks and they seem to work pretty well for me.

19. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Personaly I use circle hooks. Rarely miss a set with them. Hook size may determine the hit/miss ratio thou. If a hook is too big the fish only bites on the loose bait. Not to often have I managed to hook a small cat on a large hook.

20. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Man i like them to!!!