Circle or non circle fishing hooks??

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ravenloft420, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    just curious what hooks everyone uses and why.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Kahle hooks.

Because you can either set the hook hard or you can let the fish hook itself. IMO It's the best of both worlds...

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    This should probably be moved to terminal tackle...Maybe?

I use J-hooks,Khale hooks from 2/0-10/0 and 7/0 sickle hooks.My opinion.
    Never tried circles mainly because I like to set the hook myself.To me,thats half the fun.To each his own though.You'll get lots of different answers and reasons on this.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It all depends on the circumstances. Each hook has their place.

From what I have experienced though, most of the cats in my area of Missouri don't take the bait in a good enough run for circle hooks. I have had a couple of times where they worked, but usually they drop the bait as soon as they feel any pressure.
    I use Kahle hooks because of this. They don't feel any pressure until I cross their eyes.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think he put it here to ask his neighbors this question. I know I did the same thing quite a while ago. Down in Oklahoma I would have done fine with circles, but our Missouri cats just don't seem to hook themselves well enough for them. At least it seems that way to me.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I thought so too but the mods will usually move it though.I didn't mean anything by it.Sorry if it seemed that way.

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

what do you mean by pressure?

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I didn't take it that way, but looking back at my message it might seem like I did.

Everyone has misunderstandings, but we we can look back and laugh at them if we keep an open mind.

Good luck to you.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That was a little confusing wasn't it? Been too long without sleep.:crazy:

From what I have seen around here, as soon as oour local cats feel the pole they let go of the bait, before the hook has a chance to get into them.

I meant pressure from the pole.:tire:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of Luck to you too Brother.Hope you catch a ton in 2007!!!

11. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

hey thanks. is this in rivers,lakes,or just MO in general

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have noticed this in the "smaller" lakes around here (<1000 acres) and below the Truman Dam. Technically that's part of the Lake of the Ozarks, but many that fish there still consider it the Osage River. The way the water is there, I am inclined to count it as river fishing.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use circle hooks only. The reason is because so far 100% of the hook ups are in the corner of the fishes mouth. Easy to get out and you don't have to tear the guts out of the fish removing the hook. I release probably 99% of the fish I catch. I like to put them back in the river the same way they came out.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's nothing magical about the catfish in Missouri - they're the same as catfish everywhere else. The little ones nibble and annoy you; the big ones take your bait and run.

The choice of hook is entirely personal and should be based on the specific fishing situation at hand. All styles of hooks aren't appropriate for all kinds of fishing or all kinds of fishermen.

If you're the type that is only satisfied when you can "cross their eyes", a circle hook isn't for you. If you have to pick up your rod and hold it at the very first sign of a nibble, circle hooks aren't for you. If you fish from the bank with makeshift rod holders, circle hooks aren't for you.

15. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you're the type that is only satisfied when you can "cross their eyes", a circle hook isn't for you. If you have to pick up your rod and hold it at the very first sign of a nibble, circle hooks aren't for you. If you fish from the bank with makeshift rod holders, circle hooks aren't for you.[/quote]

I was just curious when people on here refer to crossing their eyes, is that just setting the hook? Also I was curious what you meant by those who fish from the bank with makeshift rod holders, circle hooks aren't for you.

Thanks,
    Garrett

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I like to use the Gomokatsu 8/0 circle hooks when I am fishing with a rod and reel with shad or cut bait. I like a straight hook when I use live bait, limblines, or trotlines.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    "Crossing their eyes" refers to setting the hook violently - best I can tell, it's a behavior folks learn by watching too many TV shows featuring bass fishermen.

For a circle hook to work well, the rod needs to be firmly anchored, preferably at the base - you have to give the catfish time to take the bait, run with it and "load up" the rod (put pressure on it) - it's that loading action that makes the circle hook do its magic and catch the fish in the corner of the mouth.

If you're using a forked branch from a willow tree to hold up your rod (my idea of a "makeshift rod holder"), it's unlikely that the rod will impart the necessary loading action.

Of course, it won't take long for someone to post here telling how all they use is willow branches with their circle hooks, so don't be surprised when you see it...:roll_eyes:

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Its realy how Im feeling that day

19. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    hahaha thats funny. but hey you never know, someone might have alot of luch with circle hooks and willow branches