Circle or kahle

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by scott1, May 1, 2007.

1. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I keep hearing how great circle hooks are, then I turn around and hear how great kahle hooks are. I am curious, does anyone have a preference, is one better than the other or does it all depend on what your going after or what kind of bait your using. I would like to hear your inputs. Thanks.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Personal Preference. Its all in what you like for your style of fishing... Best thing is to try each and see which you like.. You may like both for different applications.. I personally like and use the Kahles 99% of the time, but I may throw on a circle in certain situations..

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I generally use a circle hook on the poll I am paying the least amount of attention to.....the fish hook themselves. On the other I fish a variety of "settable" hooks.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Richard pretty much said what i was gunna say:lol:

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I use circle hooks. My step son accidently bought them about 3 years ago so I went ahead and gave them a try. At first I didn't like them until I realized how hard it was for fish to get off the hook. I've been using them ever since.

6. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    if im still/bank fishing i prefer circles cause i put out lots of lines. but if im drifting i use khale they dont seem to get caught up as bad on limbs as circles. i normal catch more fish on circles and on khales if im using big baits i dont seem to get the same hook penetration as i do with my circles

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    to me i like to set the hook so i use kakle hooks

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i like to set a hook as much as the next guy but i prefer circle hooks especially since i learned not to try and set the hook like a kahle.i have a lot more success on circles.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Both hooks are effective and I think it's just a matter of preference. However, I caught 5 channels during the last tournament I was in using Daiichi Bleeding Bait Circle Hooks and took first place. All were hooked in the corner of the mouth, and I didn't loose any after the hook-up.

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I tried the circles and didn't like them. I guess I just don't like change. I prefer Kahle style! I like the Matzuo Sickle Bend best of all.

11. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Until last fall I had always used kayle hooks. The buddies I fished with use circle hooks and got me to try them. They are some pretty cool hooks. I still use both though. Like a few of the other posts, I use them when I have numerous poles set up. For example, if I have 5 poles up I would usually use 3 circles. I dont believe I will ever totally covert to circles but I know there have been a few times when they have saved me some big flatties.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when fishing for big fish i plan on releasing i use circle hooks.if im fishing for supper i use kayle or j hooks.smaller fish dont seem to bite as hard and fast as big fish.

13. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use Kahles for everything but live bait. If I'm fishing for flatheads, I like a big circle hook.