Circle/Kahle - How and what bait to use?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by pincheweddo, Apr 11, 2007.

1. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have 2 questions: (I am trying to AVIOD the Circle/Kahle de-bait)

1. What bait are you finding works best on Kahle and Circles?

2. How are you putting on the hook to be most effective?

I grew up using trebles for bank fishing and J's for trot lines. I am fishing in Texas, primarily Whitney, Ray Roberts, Benbrook, Grandbury and Brownwood.
    I want to try some more options when I go out and was wondering if you ladies and gents would give an amature some advice.:roll_eyes:

2. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use circle hooks and either cut goldeye hooked thru the eyes or chunks hooked thru the back part by the fin..

good luck

3. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use 8/0 gamagatsu otopus circles on livers cut bait stuff like that but for live bait i would recomend a 7/0-10/0 eagle claw king kahle hope this helps

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What ever you use make sure ya got plenty of hook point exposed. And ya don't really set a circle hook.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I USE 8/0 CIRCLE HOOKS WITH CUT BAIT,HOOKED THROUGH THE EYES.
    I USE 7/0 - 10/0 EAGLE CLAW KAHLE HOOKS FOR LIVE BAIT, I HOOK THEM BEHIND THE DORSAL FIN OR THROUGH THE UPPER LIP.

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm noticing a bit of a trend here. It seems that, basically, if it's dead put it on a circle hook. If it's still alive, put it on a kahle hook. Could someone please explain the dynamics behind this thinking. Does it have something to do with how a fish approaches the different baits that dictates the different hook style? I'm in the process of moving from liver and worms on a treble hook to shad and bream on either of these hooks. So anything that might broaden my understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jon and Jason, don't really matter which type of hook you use as long as the hook size is appropriate for the size bait and fish you are targeting. The thing that is most important is leaving enough hook point exposed. Do some research on salt water rigs, these guy's are masters at rigging baits.

8. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like Jon and I are in the same boat:big_smile: !

Bam,
    I have heard this about the saltwater guys before. Please do tell where the master baiters share their techniques.

Seriously, Like Jon says, how do you bait it properly so the fish will be inticed to appoach it and have the greatest chances of a hook set?

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Go to your local bookstore, there should be several books on fishing rigs.The book that I use I can't put my hands on at this moment, as soon as I do I will post it.

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here is the title of the book I use, Encyclopedia Of Fishing Knots by Geoff Wilson, ISBN # 1 865 13040 0.

11. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas

Found it on Amazon! Thanks!

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  13. pokechoke

pokechoke New Member

State: