Circle Hooks ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Cherokee Rod Man, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    How many use these hooks? how do they work for your fishing, are they a good wintertime hook? Type/size etc. Thanks for your input.:confused2:

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Like any other hook, circle hooks have their good and bad points. The primary thing to remember about circle hooks is "there is no need to set the hook". Trying to rip their lips will only cause you to pull the hook out of the fish's mouth. You need to match your hook size to the size of the bait you are using.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 4/0 sport circle hooks for jug fishing during the 4 seasons and they work fantastic. I have caught fish from 2 - 20 pounds on them and it is very rare that I loose a fish. Nuff said.

catman george

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Circle hooks are OK in open water with no snags,but when I'm fishing snags I like an Kahle are an Octopus so I can jerk a knot in its a$$ before it gets back into the snag

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we only use 7/0 and 9/0 kahle hooks, only time we use circle hooks is when my daughter inlaw fishes, she won`t set the hook so we tie the circle hooks on hers. i would either use one or the other but not together, it would be too much trouble keeping up with where the circle hooks were

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Snelled circle hooks are all I use for cats . Sizes range from 3/0 to 8/0...depends on the bait I'm using .

7. ganndolf

ganndolf New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i dont trust fish enough to let them set the hook for me and im not that lazy either

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I use 6/0-9/0 octupus circles for everything but flatheads, I want to set the hook on flatheads.
    I dont think lazy has anything to do with the way you fish it. I drift fish mostly and I have several rods out, some way behind the boat and some closer, some straight down. Its hard to watch a fish nibble at your bait and not pick it up but with 6 rods in the water I cant focus on one rod. My hook up rate is as good or better than when I used khales before. They are different from j hooks but when used right they are a good choice. But for the record,true circle hooks are designed for catch and release fishing, the hook comes out easy when pulled out. and rarely are they swallowed. atleast I have never had a cat swallow a circle hook. I caught the 67 lbr in my avatar on a 8/0 circle, he hit while my back was turned but the hook done the trick. When the rod doubles over he's hung. If it dont double over then he's nibbleing or some other fish messing with it but I dont believe you could catch it by switching to j hooks. jmho

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Circles Sparky.