Circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jlcclh, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just wondering what everyones opinion is regarding circle hooks pros and cons vs. regular hooks pros and cons

2. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    well with the circle hooks you dont have to set the hook you just let him pull on it. With that you will hook him everytime.. With a regular hook if you give it to him or her for to long the cat will swollow your hook.. thats how i feel on it. hope this help

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like circles for most of my catfishing..I have lost a couple huge flatheads due to the point of the hook turning into the bait however..If you fish them, let the fish pull down on the rod hard, then slowly lift the rod and start reeling.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i switched over to circles when fishing for channels last year in the rivers and have doubled, if not trippled my hook-up rate. most of the time those channels hit so fast that by the time you get the pole in your hand its too late, but with the circles they get hooked where they would spit a "j" hook. i also noticed here recently that if you use a 3-way rig with a heavy weight and circle, and you are fishing in free spool, you kind of get a "hair rig" effect. the weight causes the circle to dig in the side of the fish's mouth enough to keep them from spitting it. due to the way i fish for flats i cant use them for those dudes.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
  6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm a circle hook fan. I use the Gamagatsu's anywhere from size 4 to 9. You cant beat the circle hooks when the fish are biting aggressively. I've found during the winter months when the bite is real subtle the circles dont work as well. I prefer the J's during this time of year. As soon as the water temp gets back above 50 or so, I'll switch back to the circles. The other post are spot on, in that you cannot set the hook with circles. Youll miss everytime. You have to let the fish and leverage do there thing, and more often than not they do. As well, you must make absolutely sure that you dont ball your bait up on circles hooks or they cant work. Its best to hook your baits in the edge so that there is nothing between the barb point and the shank of the hook.. good luck fishing.

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Maybe I havent given them a fair shake. The times I have used them I guess I wasnt giving the fish enough time to get the bait just so in its mouth
    Besides the point that I love setting the hook !...click , click ,click and pick up flip the clicker off ..feel the tug and WHAM! cross there eyes!
    BOoYA thats a feeling!

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    That is a fun feeling. If your anything like me though, I missed alot of fish that way. Best way to learn to use circles is to put your rod in a holder, loosen your drag quite a bit, and put the clicker on. Dont pick the rod up until that clicker is buzzing. I can tell ya, its quite a thrill to hear your clicker screaming, and picking the rod up knowing that the fish is already hooked and the fight is on. 9 times out of 10 that fish will be securely hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Give those circles a fair shake this summer. I think you will find your putting more fish in the boat. Best Of Luck to you.

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i didnt use to like circle hooks. But Bryan got me to use them late last year and now i love them. You will hook probaly double the fish you usually would

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't even loosen the drag unless I am going to sleep. Of course I use 100lb power pro.

11. moe

moe New Member

State:
    nc
    I'm siding with the majority, circle hooks win hands down to J-Hooks on blue cats or with cut bait. Hook up numbers are much better and you don't harm fish 'cause it gets them in the corner of the mouth pratically every time.

moe

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use both circles and kahles,my favorite is the kahle hook because you can use it like a circle or set the hook yourself,its the best of both worlds.But alot of times it just depends on the kind of bait im using.

13. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Are there any tricks for using circle hooks, with a baitclicker on your reel.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    you dont want to set your drag to tight. I keep just enough drag tension for the hook set to be affective, yet allow the fish to make a run so I have time to clear lines etc. Its easy to tighten the drag after the fish is on to the tension you need. If you have the drag set to tight on the hook up, a big one will pop your line in short order, probably before you get the rod out of the holder. I routinely will adjust my drag several times during one battle with a big fish. I always back off drag when I have a big fish at the boat in case he makes a last run. Again, a tight drag will lead to a broken line. Hope this helps.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Turn the baitclicker off.

The baitclicker allow line to feed, and this does not maintain tension, and tension is what allows the circle hook to set itself.

As hard as it is to do, just let that rod fold over. No need to get a quick hook set, because if he is not hooked then jerking the rod will not help.

I was reeling in a cat today and another rod got bumped and folder over and I was able to finish the fight on the first cat without ever having to touch the other rod.

16. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i actually started using circles on jugs. they worked so well there i started using them all the time. the toughest thing is not pickin that rod up and tryin to turn the boat over.

17. AdamL

AdamL New Member

State:
    NC
    circle hooks dont work upstream if you are on the river. Me and my buddies have missed a lot of fish that way. You gotta use them downstream for a reliable hook set. They get hooked everytime with no babysitting if you fish them that way. gives you time for a little shut eye after those long hours.

18. AdamL

AdamL New Member

State:
    NC
    Yeah, take a nap and let your equipment do the work. Cats like to hit when ou are most vulnerable. Takin a leak, grabbin a beer, napping, etc.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Now thats good advice for Circles. The absolute best way to hook a Cat with a circle hook is to let him hook himself. Thats a riot about the leak and a beer as my two biggest blues a 95, and the 62 in my avatar both bit when I was tending to other matters. Good thing for Circles.:)

20. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    When fishing from a boat with rodholders, circle hooks are the way to go. If you are on the bank, however, I would use the clicker and J or octopus hooks. Without a very good rodholder you are likely to donate a rod or two to the lake to get a bite that will set a circle hook,
    GT