circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by allflats, Aug 24, 2008.

1. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Early this year i switched to circles for flats and had great success.I used only circles all year until two weeks ago.I was missing fish because they wasnt aggressive enough to set the hook. I put my j hooks back on and i caught the pb of the year 25#.We caught several other fish up to ten #.
    So for me circles was the best thing for years until they was getting way!
    Until this fall its j hooks me.Anyone else have this problem with circles?

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Since switching to Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus circles, my hookup ratio has gone up well over 90%! I'll never go back to Js, but whatever works for you is the key.

<.I was missing fish because they wasnt aggressive enough to set the hook.>

Haven't experienced this at any time of the season. If a fish picks up my bait with the octopus circles and swims off, he's in the boat!
    Bill in SC

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    My hookup ratio increased, but I was having trouble for awhile until I figured out it was small cats stealing bait, they didn't get the hook into their mouth. I was using a No. 5 or 6 gamakatsu circle. The size fish stealing bait were too small to keep anyway. I caught a nice one the other nite, and as usual caught in the lip or corner of the mouth. I can let em go like that, but I hate getting a real big fish or a small one that swallows the hook and is gonna die and I have to keep it even if I wouldn't have kept that fish.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <until I figured out it was small cats stealing bait>

Good point! I rarely encounter that with the 1/2 to 1 pound live bream I use for bait. I am always amazed though, when landing a blue with a tiny mouth, that has been caught on a half pound bream. I wonder how they eat fish larger than their mouth.
    Bill in SC

5. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The fish would not run with the bait.They pick it up and lay down and not move.I could tell they were still there buy pulling in a little.they would pull back alittle and lay back down.Waited and waited no go.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Ill usually start out wih a circle then if they are biting like that and its not gar ill put on a true turn. usually i can assume they wont bite good enough for circles if their is little to no current.

7. KentuckyCatfish

KentuckyCatfish New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think the big difference between j hooks and circle hooks is personal fishing techniques. you cant "set the hook" so to say with the circle hooks, where as the j hooks you can do that more so. So if youre an aggressive fisher, the j hook might work better, but if you dont mind watching a little line go out then a circle hook works great. Circle hooks are also nice for drift fishing and fishing in areas where there are a lot of stripers, (when fishing with shad or minnows) You wont gut hook as many. Ive second thought the circle hook once or twice, but Ive still always thought that they worked better than anything else, well for big cats anyway.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i used to use the j-hooks and half the fun is settin the hook but sometimes i think i was yankin the bait out of their mouth, then i switched to the gammy circle octipus 8/0 and don't have many misses or hook pops with the bigger size, i just have to remember not to try and set the hook :wink: