circle hooks?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by beetle, Aug 22, 2008.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Being that I'm a little old school and have not jumped on the circle hook wagon yet I decided to give them a try. Before I do I have a question...How do you use them?LOL
    Do I cast them out turn on the clicker wait for a run then just engage the reel or cast them out and not use a clicker and just wait for my rod to load up?

2. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    alot of people use them different ways, some people just let them sit in their pole holders with a closed bail and let the fish hook them self. personally i like to use the clicker and set the hook slightly. i was also a bit skeptical about them but after hooking a few nicer flatheads in the guts i decided it would probably be good to change.

what i do is just leave the clicker on, when i get a run i pick up my pole, wait for him to take off again (if the clicker isn't already screaming) then i put my thumb on the spool of line, let the tension pull tight then when i feel him really pulling i do a slow hook set and just pull the tip of the pole up. (that one might be unnecessary but i like to feel like i'm setting the hook)

big thing is, don't get excited and set the hook! just let em pull tight then slowly lift your pole up

3. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey good question Roger, I just picked up some for the weekend myself. I have never used them before. I'm going to give it a try but I don't know if I can get used to the not setting the hook. I figure I will use them on one rod and stay with the Kahle hooks on the other rod.
    Matt, AKA DESODE

4. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I live in North Dakotan the Red River,..

I use the circle hooks hooked in bottom rog. (hook and a swivel then the weight higher.)

I set my drag pretty tight but still able to have cat pull line out. when he takes off, the hook sets in his jaw and the fight is on.. no need to set the hook hard. when fish runs , hook sets itself..

good luck ..

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I leave my clickers off, unless the bite is really light.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never use my clicker, I let the rod load up to the breaking point before I even touch it...If I did not have sturdy rod holders I would pick the rod up as soon as it started to go down, and then let the fish load it up real good before ever pulling back which I do very slowly.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i learned not to use clickers,i will free spool,but not use clickers.
    i lock the reel,and pull the rod up easily,and the fish is hooked.now,sometimes i get the best of myself and really lay into one.but,i have rarely missed a fish doing it,though.

8. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just to make sure,because I have never used circle hooks, now I assume you just use your live bait the same as normal right ? No different technique of putting bait on ? and also what size circle hooks are you guys using for 6/8 inch chubs and nice sized gills. Is there any difference in picking your hook size when using circles ?
    Thanks, Matt, AKA DESODE

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I normally use a larger hook. 8/0 Daiichi or Team Catfish hooks. Just make sure that you're bait is not blocking the area between the hook point and the shaft or you will miss hooking the fish. Other than that, hook the bait the same way you have always done.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    always want to use a circle at least 2 times bigger than you normally use.because the distance between the hook point and the shank are closer with circles.
    i used to use 6/0 for flats.but when i started with circles,it went to 8/0 or 9/0.

11. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    CIRCLES TO ME ARE KIND OF A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD. I ONLY USE THEM WHEN I'M THROWING MY SURF ROD FROM SHORE OR WHEN USING A FLOAT FROM BOAT OR SHORE. THE LONG DISTANCE OF THE CAST DOESN'T ALLOW A HARD HOOKSET WITH THE SURF STIK. I THROW 30LB MONO, AND AT A GOOD DISTANCE A HARD HOOKSET TURNS INTO MORE OF A PULL. CIRCLES PERFORM PERFECT HERE-- NO HOOKSET NEEDED JUST LET IT LOAD LIKE HELL AND FIGHT AS NORMAL. WITH FLOATS I NORMALLY USE CIRCLES FOR CHANNELS AND THEY PERFORM VERY WELL.
    ON THE OTHER HAND CLOSE RANGE LIVE BAIT ON THE BOTTOM I WILL NOT USE THEM, I'VE LOST TOO MANY FISH.

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Just gotta love those circle hooks tho. I've tried a lot of different hooks an the circle just seems to hold my faith!