circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bobcats fan, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    I USE WHISKER STICKER 2/0 HOOKS WITH DOUBLE BARBS FOR FISHING LIVE BLUEGILL AND IT SEEMS TO WORK BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE TRIED BUT I HAVE NEVER USED CIRCLE HOOKS I NEED SOME WISDOM ON THIS ISSUE

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Wisdom and me don't exactly go together, but here is what I do know. I like a very specific hook. It is a Gamakatsu Octopus circle hook with an offset. I use 6/0 for drifting cut bait for channels, 8/0 for live bait presentation.

A Circle hook is a tool. When catfish are aggressive there is not a better hook to use. As a tool it has a specific manner in which you use it as well.

You need a rod with a tip that is sensitive, a good quality reel/drag system, and a solid rod holder. Circles are a tight line method of fishing. Basically you set it up, bait it and go to sleep until the fish wakes you. There is little more exilharating feeling than drifting in 10-15 feet of water with a bait trailing 15-20 feet behind the boat when an angry channel cat hammers your bait. You'll swear that he is going to flat destroy your equipment. Never set the hook on a circle hook. You'll know he's on there because it is hard to get your rod out of the holder!

3. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    i fish with a bait alarm will the circle hook still work for this style of fishing

4. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    From all I have read about circles, you want to turn the clicker off and lock the spool down, then wait for the rod to load up then bring in the fish. No hook set is required.

5. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    For all the fish that ive caught witch aint a lot ive used the octupus circle hook 2/0

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It will if you do it right. Cast your bait. engage the reel. Turn on clicker. Set drag so your line doesn't break.

Make sure your hook point is completely exposed.

If you put it in freespool with the clicker you will curse the day you ever put on a circle hook, it is that frustrating. Either commit to the method or stay with J's.

7. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    ive caught them with the clicker set but you got to pay close attention cause once the line starts to move and makes the slitest click you got to grab it real quick or there goin

8. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    thanks for all the info