Circle hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by smitty1963, Jun 29, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I need some guidance and or advice,
    I went fishing yesterday and was using dough bait with a treble hook, i caught a small blue cat and that little bugger swallowed the treble I wasnt able to get the hook out without killing the fish. I kept the fish (smallest filets you have ever seen) I have heard that circle hooks are effective as far as fish survivalbility. Is there any way you can use a circle hook and still use dough bait. Any help would be great.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You've left alot of variables out.
    Are you fishing with a rod and reel set-up
    Are you casting a long distance
    What type of dough bait does it stay on the hook pretty good or is it really soft?

If rod and reel fishing what kind of set up on your rod and reel?

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yes you are most certainly right Sir,
    Open face reel 6 ft med action rod, dont need to cast very far 35 t0 45 ft
    Right now Im using Magic bait dough bait seems to hold on to the hook pretty well.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You probably will do okay with circle hooks. Casting them I mean. Be kinda like casting with chicken livers.

The better set up would be a spinning reel I think. With spinning you don't have any back lash brake and you would be able to cast easier and further without much effort and without slinging the bait off the hook.

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've gone through the range of hooks to bait. I will never use a treble hook again, they are a pain. I do use only circle hooks I use the smallest Gamayatsu (sp?) which I think is a 2 , its a good hook for small cats. I have a range up to 8 but the big ones are out of range now. I use shrimp for bait they are cheap at Kroger you can get 60 for 5 bucks, thats cheaper than nightcrawlers at Walmart 12....for 2.50. Anyway the shimp stay on the hook for long casts. I've never had any luck with dough bait staying on the hook, I've tried it all. Right now if I can't catch some small sunfish at a local pond my next bait is the shrimp. I'm casting the hell out of my bait also, I go for 50 - 75 yards a a cast I need to get it out there to the deep spots.
    good luck

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I agree with David about treble hooks being a pain. You might as well gaff the fish after you tear him up with that hook.

Now circle vs. kahle...that's been a raging debate on here for a long time! :wink:

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
  8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Traviiz,

Thats about as good an idea as I have seen on the board in a while. Thank you. I used to fish for carp alot. Great fighters. If I wasn't in south america during the blue cat spawn, I would catch carp. Thanks again.

9. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    circles are the only way to go. i used to use demon circles alot(small gap but suprisingly works weel) . untill i switched to the gamagatsu 6/0-8/0.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really enjoy the circle hooks. Mostly the fish get hooked in the corner of the mouth and that is by design. It does cause you to miss some though. I am not sure about the dough bait as I don't use it. Perhaps if you prepared a number of hooks and let the dough dry some it would allow you to get the cast complete and then it should work out fine.

11. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the suggestion will have to try that out:cool2: