Circle hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Junior42, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    What do you all think about them. I never used them but I am thinking about trying em'

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ive never used them so I cant say one way or another. The King Kahles have worked so well for me, I have no reason to change at this point.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I love circle hooks. You just have to learn some patience and let the fish set the hook.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats all I use, been using them exclusivly for 5 years...I love them.

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gotta agree with ya Jack! It's pretty much all I use as well. Just do a search for circle hook on here and you'll find a lot of good insight on how to use em.

6. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I like to use Gamakatsu Octopus circle 8/0 when I'm fishing for blue cats, because they usually load the pole quickly. I keep my drag set kind of loose. I also like to use King Kahle 10/0 when I use larger bait. Both of these hooks are very sharp! I think that circle hooks take some of the guess work out of when to set the hook. I still set the hook when I use circles, but it's a slower, gradual motion.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have used them with good results at times but then i have had days like last saturday were they wouldnt load the rod and i had to switch to a j hood to get a hookup

8. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I swear by them. I believe if I hadn't had been using a circle hook, there is no way I would have brought in that 22 pound flathead on a tiny bass rod and reel with 12 pound line. They set like no other hook, you should give them a try, you'll be hooked....no pun intended!

9. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Since I switched to them 2 years ago my "hook-up" ratio has went way up. They take some getting used to, but once you do I think you will be happy with the results. BTW I only use Gamakatsu Octopus Circles in the 8/0 size. Hope this helps!

10. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Hey Adam, I'll take you to the store and get you some on wed.:smile2:

11. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use circle hooks exclusively; on my trot line, jugs, and rod & reel fishing. Love them.

Have a nice day.

12. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I just started to use them, and trying to get over not setting the hook:embarassed:

13. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nothing to be embarassed about.

My oldest son, Steve, can't use circle hooks - at the first little peck on a rod, he snatches up that rod and barely waits for the next tug before he tries to set the hook. As for me, I'm totally laid back (or totally lazy) and can wait for the rod to be fully loaded before I pick it up. It ook me 59 years to become so laid back (Lazy), so you should have plenty of time to learn. I'm usually not so long winded, but I felt like talking today. Sorry.

Have a nice day.

14. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    James, love circle hooks got three channels so far and i just set back and wait until the pole is louded. Thanks

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish good job

16. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Ok you got me talked into it. the next time I go out I am going to try the circle hook.:big_smile:

17. buzzer_myers

buzzer_myers New Member

State:
    nebraska
    hi well circle hooks seem to work well and get em right in the corner of the mouth but i have noticed you dont need to set your hook like a regular one just let em run and then pick her up and gently tug i am going to lake texoma this weekend and using some 13/0 circles and i will let you know how i do after the 30th when i get back

18. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Ok sure apprecate it.

19. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats only kind i use it dont seem like you have to set the hook they usually hook there selfs

20. fishrepair

fishrepair New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ADAM, CIRCLE HOOKS ARE GREAT. THE ONE THING THAT YOU CAN'T DO IS FISH ONE POLE WITH A REGULAR HOOK AND ONE WITH A CIRCLE HOOK BECAUSE YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF SETTING THE HOOK ON BOTH AND YOU CAN;T DO THAT WITH CIRCLE HOOKS BECAUSE YOU WILL PULL THE HOOK OUT OF THEIR MOUTH. SOME DAYS YOU WILL FIND THAT THE FISH WILL BITE VERY LIGHT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TO A REGULAR HOOK.OTHER THAN THAT THE CIRCLE HOOKS ARE GREAT. THANKS FOR THE POST. RAY