circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by DAREWOOD11, Feb 16, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    does anyone use circle hooks with quantum big cat rods?? i was told that rods like these with stiff tips are pretty much useless with circle hooks...is that true?? i use a big cat a beefstick and ugly stik big water boat rod...all with real stiff tips and i like to use circle hooks but is that hurtin me?? thanks

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    an e-glass like a king kat will work better than some of the rods you mentioned for self setting YES. if you set the drag to slip just right on stiffer rods they will work but e glass is better

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Andy, when I first started using circle hooks all I used was quantum bigcat rods...They worked just fine..I now use rods with a softer tip just to make sure, but I dont think it is required.

4. jdwizard

jdwizard New Member

State:
    Independence, Missouri
    Andy,I use a diawa beefstick (cheap rod) and it is very stiff and have no problem with circle hooks.....hope that helps

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Keep the rods you have and loosen up your drag slightly. The amount will depend on the fish you are trying to catch and the type of rig you are using. If it is a fixed sinker rig then the size of the sinker will be more important than the action on your rod. Too much weight could cause the fish to drop your bait.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Your rods are fine. If anything after owning everything from whupping sticks to surge and everything in between. I am coming to the conclusion that a stiffer rod works best. By the time that hooks rounds into the corner of the fishes mouth he is in trouble anyways no matter what rod. The question is will your rod have enough tip to set that hook. Or is the rod going to have to bend a good 6-10 inches before it gets into the section of rod that can make the hook penetrate. By that time the fish is feeling resistance before the hook penetrates. I would hate to know how many times I have missed a good take down on a surge or other soft tip rods because the rod just has to go down so much farther to get a good penetration on the fish.

7. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The best cirlce hook rod i have ever used would be the berkley powertip rods kinda light right the fight is good made for channels but have caugght 40's and 50's on them so i know they work and the tip is super light but now ive graduated to the olde jerk hook i think i catch more this way.

8. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If the Big Cat rods your talking about are mh action, then I can speak about them, because I use these along with the Surge Elite rods in mh action. They work good! I like both of these rods!:wink:

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    You shouldn't have a problem with the rods. I have a couple of Okuma rods with stiffer tips that work fine.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Adding on to what has been said:eek:oooh::wink: The angle of the rod holder makes a difference..bigger than most folks think...To low of an angle will kill ya on hook sets:eek:oooh:

11. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    From what i understand of circle hooks you are supposed to let fish run with bait and swallow ....when it pulls out of stomach is when it is "supposed" to hook the fish. No offense to eagle claw but i never caught any fish with their circle hooks. I think mustad hooks have been much more productive a shape.
    I really think how you hook bait is just as important. If used bigger bait hook just sticks back in bait when fish bites youll miss em every time.

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    e glass with faster tip works much better ,my opion beef stix are just way to stiff ,just my opinon

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have always preferred a J hook or a Kahle hook...but recently have used circle hooks. And I must say I have not missed a fish yet on the circles. I use medium/heavy rods and just let the fish load up good and reel him in.:eek:oooh:

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    rob and sam made some good points :wink:

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    That has more to do with the circle hook being to much of a circle for the bait. Take the demon circle hook. It's point is just as close to the shank as eagle claws. They both how ever make more of a wide gap circle that helps this problem with bigger baits. The best one out there though is the Team Catfish double action circle hook. It has a wide gap plus a notch in the circle part of the hook that will keep the the bait down and out of the way.

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Andy you will get better results using a rod with a softer tip when using circle hooks but its not a must the rods you have will still work. For the ideal situation you would wont a softer tip though.

17. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I have 6 big cat rods, 2 mh and 4 m action. I use cirlcle hooks on the 4 m action rods, they have a softer tip. The big cat rods are e glass rods too. You should be fine with what you got.

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Most of my rods are MH and I have no problems really with circles. As for eagle claw, I like their hooks. I used them on my jugs last year and they did outstanding job. The 3/0 Lazer Sharps worked wonders on the channels on my jugs and had no problem dealing with 8-10lb channels.

For rods, as long as there is some elevation vs straight out, you should be okay. Granted, sometimes you don't get a hookup, but more times than not you will get them on any rod you have.