Circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by prostreetS10, Oct 11, 2007.

1. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have been thinking about tryin some circle hooks for the first time. for the people that use them how should i go about rigging i currently use a sinker, bead, swivel, leader with the hook. Then should i leave the clickers on untill i get a run then close the bail or just leave the bail closed and wait until the pole loads up.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Your rigging is Ok. Bail closed. Let the rod load up and begin reeling. Good luck.

3. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I agree with bluejay. Also use a wide gap circle hook and leave a lot of the point exposed.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use the 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles and 7/0 Daiichi Circle Chunk Light hooks. Both are very good circles. When targeting flatheads, I let them run before engaging the reel. With the blue cats I tightline and let them load the pole up.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Your rigging is fine and I also like to use 8/0 gama octopus circles. You need to put your rod in a rod holder, engage your reel, tighten up the line so their is no slack, turn on your clicker and wait for the rod to load up (by this I mean wait until the rod tip bows over in a half to whole circle and stays that way), then just start reeling while your rod is still in the holder and after you know the fish is on, you can get your rod out of the holder or at least this is the way I do it.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    with channels and blues around yuma, az, i lock the reel up and let them load the pole. with flatheads, i always let run, unless in narrow channel, then lock up the reel.
    gary

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Circle hooks take the guess out of hook setting. The fish does it for you. I just start reeling and the fun begins.

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for all the info im going to start using them on one pole and see how i like them.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Just remember when using circle hooks don't try a hard hookset. This will cause you to lose the fish almost everytime. once you get use to them it's hard to use any other hook again.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Josh, we must be twins. LOL. I have always used "J" hooks and kahle hooks. You couldn't get me to use a circle, because not one fish would load the pole. I started experimenting on one pole last week, and have caught just as many now on the circles as I did the kahles. Unfortunately, I must have hookd the SS Swordfish, because it loaded the pole up and took off. I had him on for about 50 seconds, ripping line off and trying to jerk the pole out of my hands. I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "I'd better set the hook". So I did. Lost that darn submarine just as fast as you can say it got off. Moral to this point is you gotta remember which pole has the circle hook - and DON'T JERK ON THAT POLE. Today I was again experimenting with one pole using circles. I had a hit on it, but no load was put on the pole. What the heck, happens all the time on my "J" hooks and kahles. About 20 minutes later I noticed that line was at about 90 degrees off of where it should be dragging bottom. Pointed this out to my fishing buddy FuzzFace, picked up the pole and started reeling and had about a 3 pound blue on it. Never loaded the pole, hit only once, and the pole just acted like it was bouncing bottom from there on. Those circle hooks are funny hooks. LOL

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use the rig in this link. first i crimp on a small split shot sinker about a foot above the sinker slide. with my reel in freespool this sets the hook and my hook up ratio is roughly 90% or in a heavy current with the sinker holding bottom and a little slack line the fish gets a running start with the bait and once the line comes tight the sinker sets the hook and the rod tip pops straight up then its fish on hooking up about 80% that way.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23479&d=1176336964

12. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    There is no real "secrete" to circles.. just personality differences... like each of us:tounge_out:

One tip for those of you still having trouble with circles slipping out of the mouth of the fish is to snell your circle! Snell it so that the running line comes out of the eye the same side as the point. The tension of line will then pivot the hook in a way so that the tip drags until it catches flesh.

I'll attach a little pic example or two....

Attached Files:

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Glad you showed us that Kelly. i actually just learned the snell knot last night when i was out fishing.

14. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Glad to have been of some assistance Josh,
    The snell or it's variation the tube know, are IMO the most important knots for bait fishing. Even with traditional hook's that's my prefrence for attaching the line to the hook.

At times, like when using live bait, I'll attach a circle or octopus hook with a loop like the rapala knot .. but that's for very aggressive predators that prefer more lively bait.

15. easttexcowboy55

easttexcowboy55 New Member

I use them all the time on my trotlines and noddles.
    Have you used the new Worm Glo?

16. hallpatrickh

hallpatrickh New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I LOVE CIRCLE HOOKS!!! I finally broke down and used some last year, and have used them ever since. There are some times they work better than others though. When the fish are hitting short or fast, I go back to J's Or Kahles.