Circle Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by nudimeyer126, Jul 20, 2007.

1. nudimeyer126

nudimeyer126 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I just started using circle hooks and just wandering what everyones thoughts are on them. I know some of my friends use them and seem to have trouble with hooksets. Correct me if I'm wrong but your suppose to just start reeling and keep preasure on the line? any tips would be appreciated. thanks

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    What kind of bait are you using with them?:0a23:

3. nudimeyer126

nudimeyer126 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Bluegills and cut goldeyes.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You cannot, I repeat, you cannot set the hook when using circles. They work great when the fish are hitting hard but, if they aren't they ain't worth diddly!!!
    Kahles work both ways, this is why I quit using circles!!!

5. nudimeyer126

nudimeyer126 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks. I use kahle hooks also and just started using circle hooks. I have some 8/0 circles but it seems that the kahle hooks work better with the bigger baits. What do you guys think?

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    You wait till the cat loads the "rod"....IOW's, when he's putting what you think is a steady bend in the rod, which tells you for sure he's taken the bait and swallowed, especially flatheads....When the rod loads, start reeling and keep steady pressure on him....I want to try the "barbless" circle hooks for catch and release.....Dwight

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I see you want to use the early release method, Skip the Catch and Photograph parts and go straight to the Release part, LOL!!! You must have nerves of steel!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't stop myself, LMAO!!!

8. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    J.W.
    You are making me tired evertime I see you holding that big-un.
    Is that the one Tom caught?:smile2:
    mr smith

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    JW that's called "cast & release". LOL

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    John,

I just gotta try those "barbless" hooks and see what the deal is on em....I'm too curious about those hooks....Dwight

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You better listen to JW, he knows what he is talking about. Kahle is the best of all worlds. Why would you want to use barbless hooks? If I'm going to all the preperation work I don't see any scense in quick release. Maybe I'm missing something. Open for thoughts.:confused2::smile2:

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Set your drag to almost zero when using circle hooks. I have lost count of the biguns hooked in the lip or the corner of the mouth with not much more than a little skin.
    Good advice so far. Wait until they are loading the rod or tug...tug...tug on it and then wind like crazy. I don't even pick up the rod from the rod holder until I wind every bit of slack out. That keeps from instinctively jerking the rod to set the hook.

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Mickey

I just want to "try" the barbless hooks out....I first heard about them on In-Fisherman and have always been curious about whether they will work or not...I'm sure they would work for what they are designed for, releasing the fish without harm....But the catchrate is something else....Dwight