Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by dhogue, Feb 5, 2007.

1. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hello to all BOC members, what is the best circle hooks out there for Blues, for the past ten years I'm been using # 5 Tru-Turn hooks.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've had great success with Gamakatsu octopus circles and Diachi chunk lite circles.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Daiichi Circle Chunk Lite hooks are probably some of the best available. And that's why they sell for about $1.50 each. Good hooks though.

You probably won't find a sharper circle hook than the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle. I've switched to using those hooks almost exclusively and have very good results.

Just remember that circle hooks work different from the straight hooks you're used to. Totally different technique and may take a while to get the hang of it. The best advice I can give is to tell you to leave the rod in the holder until the fish is obviously on the line -- rod bent way over, drag screaming, that sort of thing. Then crank the handle several times *before* grabbing the rod - put lots of load on the hook and it'll do all the work for you.

You'll never catch anything on a circle hook if you grab the rod out of the holder the instant you see the rod tip twitch...

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gamakatsu Octopus Circle will get the job done. Strong and Sharp hook. As stated in the above post, don't set the hook like you did on the tru-turn or j hooks.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    my vote goes to the gama's and daiichi's in that order.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    In that order for me. Gama. in 8/0 and the Diachi in 7/0
    Would reverse that order if the Diachi were sold in bulk.

7. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've gotta throw my name in the hat for the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle as well.

By the way hello to all. I've been lurking for a bit and finally decided to sign up--you all seem like a great bunch of folks who share a great passion of mine.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Devlyn, I use Gamakatsu Octopus Circles exclusively in sizes from 4/0-8/0. The turn and gap is perfect for my style of fishing. If the bait makes it into the cats mouth the hook will set itself!!

9. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    welcome Dan to the BOC "Cat fishing Pros">>>>but not myself.Just a beginner at 73.But I have loved ever bit of it.
    I do like the Circle hook for myself.For me it takes the work out of it and I dont have to rush:big_smile: for the rod

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i fish a lot of currant over rocks so i cant justify the cost of circle hooks when i lose every hook if i dont catch the fish.i do use circle hooks on my troutlines. dont know the name their from sweden.

11. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I would also have to agree on gamas and daiichi. I mainly use the gamas though.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    GAMAKATSU OCTOPUS CIRCLES.

13. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Gamakatsu octopus circle 5/0, 6/0 ,7/0, 8/0, 9/0 match with size of bait and the fish your after.

14. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    ok well i prefer gamatsku #7's. hardly ever lose a fish on them they r the only hooks i use for big cat

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gamakatsu Octopus Circles.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use Gamakatsu Oct-Circles 8/0 more than any other but the VMC SureSet Circles work real well also.

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use Gamakatsu circles in the smaller hooks of 5/0 to 8/0 and use Owner circle hooks in the larger sizes.

18. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    8/0 Gamakatsu is the best circle out there. imo