Circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Muleskinner, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Like I have already said I am not an expert catfisherman by far. I have always just bee an anything that bites fisherman. I will probably always be that. But I do enjoy catfishing more than all. Since i have started reading and posting on this site. I have seen so many people talking about circle hooks. As bad as i hate to say it. I have no idea what them are. They must be good as much as everyone talks about them. So will one of you post me a link where that i can go to see one of them?

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Check out the Eagle Claw web site .

3. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
  4. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    You know that is a lot like a Red Snapper hook that we use offshore on these oil rigs. Actually the same thing just we use very big ones. i never knew they were called circle hooks.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Circle hooks - You either love them or hate them... lots of the brothers believe they increase the hook-up ratio between bites. Lot of the brothers think those people just can't catch a fish anyhow. LOL. They, as everything in a tackle box has their place in the great scheme of things. So, if you want to compromise, don't go circle, don't stay "j", use kahle.

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    They work sometimes for me. But when they do work they are on the money. I like to use them for blue cats, use 5/0 plus for bigger cats. However, I like to use kahle hooks on flatheads 8/0 + usually a 10/0. Trust me a fish that weighs 5 pounds or more can get it!

7. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    You aren't missing a thing,, just keep using what works for you,, because circles dont work for catfish

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    ohhhh, bushwack... your gonna get bushwacked for that definitive of an answer. LOL

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I am guessing that you are joking about this. Right.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

They are from the same state, might be trying to increase his chances, lol

11. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV

Couldn't have said it better, Kahles are the best of both worlds.

12. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was introduced to using circle hooks by rockbass. He says you hook them in the lip more effectively because you don't have to set the hook. This decreases your chances of snagging them. Just wait till the fish runs with it and slowly start to reel.

13. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you had ever had a hook straighten out the hook that you were using,then you would use nothing but a Gamakatsu Octopus circle.I have used these since they come onto the market and wouldn't go fishing without them in my box.I have used them in both the river and lakes,and they do serve me well.Take a look at the hook that I am talking about ,then tell me what you think.Look at the thickness of this metal.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&indexId=cat20291&hasJS=true&_requestid=15814

14. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use em when fishing with livers wrapped in pantyhose. On regular hooks the barb tends to get covered up by the ball of liver, with the barb being turned in the point of the hook is still exposed. :smile2:

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you set your drag and play the fish, I see no way they could straigten one out. If your limb fishing, its possible, and trotline it is possible... but then the argument could probably be made that you wasn't using a large enough "j" hook. As I said, everything has its place, there is no need to convert anyone to your brand of religion.... or hooks LOL

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    CIrcles have their place sometmes, but I have personally lost more fish to circles than to J's simply by them sometimes dropping the bait. If the hook do not catch them in the right area sometimes its nada. When the bite is finicky sometimes I may result to circles, but for the most part I love my J's and love setting the hook. The the fun part about fishing - setting the hook.

17. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    the hooks they are showing in the link chris posted don't look like circles to me,,, it says the one in the center is an circle octopus by gamma,,, dont look like one to me.

I have had some gamma octopus circles and they don't look like that

or is there a difference between circle octopus, and octopus circles?

18. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Do you have a link to a circle hook that you know of?

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I value rockbass's opions on circle hook and catfishing in general, And when the bite is on, I use only circle hooks. But sometimes when the cats aren't biting hard and just wanting to chew on your bait, you have to be prepared to switch hooks. That's when I like the wide gap hooks by Daiichi.
    If rockbass remembers the first TCBA tournament I fished, a fellow angler asked me what bait I used. I told him an empty circle hook. Sometimes it can seem that way.

20. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    this is what i've been to know as a circle hook,,

you can put that in your hand and make a fist and pull it out without getting hooked,,, dont try that with a reg hook

Attached Files: