Circle hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by badcat, Jul 21, 2006.

1. badcat

badcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    anybody tried these hooks? i read that the hook is supposed to set better than a j hook for catfishing, what size and brand works good.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL

3. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    That is a great thread with a ton of info. You will find the circle will be both loved and hated depending upon the user.

I only use circles except in the Winter when I switch to Kahles

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I still use all styles of hooks and the circle is good , but the one I use the most is tru turn hooks, they have worked the best for me.

5. badcat

badcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    whats a truturn hook

6. hillbillywilly

hillbillywilly New Member

State:
    Burnettsville, Indiana
    I use eagle claw 5/0 circles and have had no troubles yet. Most of the time I don't even have to set the hook. They are usually hooked before I grab my pole off of the holder.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

TruTurn hooks are a great "old school" hook that bass guys used to use a lot. I use them a lot know when the fish are wanting to mouth the bait but not bite. try them out for the fish I have been catching now a 2/0-4/0 has been plenty of hook.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hey buddy thats the idea of a circle hook you wait for the rod to load up and then just pick it up and reel, you do not set the hook.

9. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've had decent luck with circles, but I honestly love setting the hook on a fish. To me, setting the hook is a big part of the experience. I use the Mustad Big Gun catfish hooks in 6/0 and I love them.

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Being new to (serious) catfishing myself, I'm trying-out the circles as well. I can't say I like them all that well, but I'll continue to use them in order to give them a fair chance.

I also use Tru-Turns & Kahles, and at this point prefer these over the circles, but that's just me. I've been "programmed" for 50 years to set the hook, and am having difficulty in "unlearning" it, so I'm sure the majority of my problems (using circles) are my own fault.

Best thing would be to give them a try & decide for yourself. What works for one person, doesn't always work for another.

Smitty

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think that is probably the hardest thing for guys that are used to using hooks that you have to set. A lot of people see the rod start bouncing and they wanna tear the fishes guts out. With a circle it will just come right out of its mouth.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use the Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks in 8/0 size. this is the size circle I like, I have caught cats weighing 1# on these so don't think the are to big of a hook. If you like hauling up on the rod and setting the hook then don't use circles, with circles you only need to start reeling in. I also like the Kahle hook and have had good succsess with the to.

Welcome to the BOC!

Attached Files:

13. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use circle hook all the time and like them

14. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Circles allow you to be a little more lazy since you don't have to set the hook, which is usually a good idea when you fish with brew present.:lol:
    I don't like circles when using a float, other than that I always use circles. Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp or Octo Circles work great. I buy my stuff at West Side Bait, he typically has big gear.

15. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    circle hooks have a bad disadvantage. if you try to set the hook, you will pull it of of the fishs mouth. the best hook to use is Gamakatsu Big river bait hook 10/0 12/0

16. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya go to the thread up their

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use circles and like them real well and I like kahle hooks also depending on the type of fishing I'm doing at the time but I think the type of hook you use is a personal choice and which ever you feel most comfortable and confidant using. The hook you have in the water most is going to be the one you catch most of your fish on. I personal like to see the rod load up and know that when I pick it up there will be a fish on it 98% of the time and some like setting the hook, its a personal perferance. Almost all hooks are good if used for their proper intent.

18. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i love circle hooks, I use 14/O and 20/O mustang hooks. I get mine from cabels salt water cataloge. Found the 20/O in Australa. I am looking for big cats only.

19. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Circles work great for me and especially for my wife. When she started fishing she had trouble getting the hang of a quick, snappy hook-set. With the circles you can not set the hook with a fast hookset, it'll yank the hook straight out of the fishes mouth. The best way I've found is to use rod holders that hold your poles up at a steep angle, this lets the pole do the work for you as it loads up. Give'em a chance, but remember they are different when you use them.