Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Jul 19, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Maybe I am just an idiot, but someone please fill me in on circle hooks, and how exactly they work? I have looked at them at the store, and I guess the first thing is I need to know I am looking at the right thing. Are these the hooks that almost make a full circle?

If I am looking at the right thing, how on earth do they work? I have stood in the aisle at the store and studied these things, and can not imagine how they could work as well as everyone claims they do.

I use Kahle shaped hooks presently, a big improvement over the old J Eagle Claws I grew up using. Are the circle hooks even that much better? It just does not look like you could hook a fish to save your butt with one of those things, but evidently I am way wrong.:confused2:

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use the kahle hooks to but like you ive herd alot of people on BOC use them with success

3. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    all i kno is that 90% of the time they hook the fish in the corner of the mouth.:big_smile:

4. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    love them clayton showed me how to fish with them tie them on bait them up put the rod in a holder an let em go no setting the hook the fish hook them selves we caught 32 cats during a tourney and won the tourney the only thing I didnt like about them was maybe 2% of the time the hook wouldnt be set very well so ya cant horse them in.....all I use now are the circle hooks

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The circle hook slides so to speak when the fish grips down on it, versus a standard hook that just goes straight into the lip, etc where ever the hook sits is where it will go when it pentrates. The circle hook is bent down abit more than a standard hook, so when the fish takes the bait, the hook goes in the mouth and slides normally to the corner of the mouth. The fish will now feel the tightness of the line and pulls back to try to get away and the hook will pentrate the corner of the jaw.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    The circle hook is made to slide out of the fishes mouth to work :crazy: .when the fish grabs the bait and runs your line needs to be tight because as the fish runs away the hook slides up and out, it turns as the eye comes out, the line pulls the eye back twards you turning the point into the fish and the fish is hooked.

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    There a good investment ive went through many different hooks and now that Ive started using circle hooks i dont think im ever going to use anything else they work very well and they always seem to hook the catfish on the lip i caught a nice 18# flat with one yesterday.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
  9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Cirle Hooks are for the Birds...In My opinion

10. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    a circle hook must 'swing' to work. and i use them differently than most people, i do set a hook. I use mostly spinning reels and i usually let a fish take some line before i set it. when i am ready to set i flip my drag off live-liner so it is tight dragged. i then wait to feel the fish 'load up' on the pole. when it has, i give a solid but not crazy set. i compair it to bluegill or crappie fishing, a similar set is what i do. my hook-up has gone from roughly 70 percent to 95 percent since doing this.

also note that i do not swear by circle hooks for every application. when drifting for big blues i love a 8/0-10/0 J or Kahle.

but they, like everything else, have a spot in your tackle box

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I just cant imagine letting the fish hook itself, Setting the hook is one the the fun parts about fishing

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks all, great info! I think I will stick with my khale hooks, and maybe use the circles on my trotlines and limblines.

There is just nothing like the feeling of setting the hook with force, leaning back, putting your weight into it, and the end of your rod does not even move! MAN!

Boss, I'm sick, I need to go "home"! :wink: