Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using circle hooks. I know your not suppose to set the hook, it sets it's self. But is there a point, on bigger fish or smaller fish, that you do kinda set the hook? Or does it literally set the hook all the way by itself? Yes I make sure the hook is sharp and in good condition. Thanks for any and all advice, tips, and recommendations.

·
Floyd
4,927 Posts
I am by far the master of using circle hooks . I just started using them last year and love it . What I do is wait for the rod to bend or bounce then give it a slow yank and once I feel the fish I will then make sure it is set with a harder yank . Works for me .

·
Registered
285 Posts
Started using circle hooks in the 90s bottom fishing for snapper and grouper in the gulf. We would wait for the rod to load-up and then make 10 or 12 fast turns on the reel to get the fish off the bottom and away from structure. Never set the hook. Hook-up rate went from 60/70% with J-hooks to almost 100% with circles. Use the same method for catfishing.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I agree also I dont set the hook. You can give it a quick sweep though. I have a buddy that still sets the hook with them lol, he loses some sometimes I have tried it a few times cause he gets mad on his boat if you dont set the hook, I didnt lose the fish but I prefer to just let it load up

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sometimes on smaller fish I will LIFT the rod as I start reeling hard to explain but I never (SET) the hook ...It takes awhile to learn how to use them but my %ages are better than w/j style hooks .

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question. If the tip is bouncing, what do I do? Just get ready to reel a few times and lift after it loads up? I'm assuming if it bounces too long it's a little fellar.

Is everyone basicly telling me "Don't do anything until the rod is loaded"?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
the main idea behind the circle hook is you let the fish hook itself. leave it in the rod holder and let it bend hard,once the fish is "on" you pick up the rod and reel in the fish. If it's bouncing leave it alone,if it bounces for awhile and then nothing reel in and check your bait!

I do not reccommend circle hooks for flatheads,or any fish that isn't pounding the bait, for the hook to work correctly you need the fish to pick up the bait swallow it and turn and run away, where the hook slides to the front and "hooks" as it pulls through the corner of the mouth. fish don't always act this way, so they are not for everything, I personally quit using them and went with octo's,kahles, and standard J hooks, and started hooking more fish again right away. Circles might be an excellent choice for blues(we don't have many) and sometimes channels,I believe you will be happier with standard hooks for flatties by far. Circle hooks are supposed to reduce deep hooking,etc. but I very rarely deep hook a fish with othe style hooks. If you set your rods in holders and walk away and just check them now and then the circles might be the way to go. Just picture the fish and how they are taking the bait and decide for yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.