Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BIG_D, Jan 18, 2010.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Giving C Hooks one more try got a few packs of 8/0 eagle claw octopus circle hooks today to try on flatheads and blues these things are sharp dident much likem for channel cats like my kahles but for the agressive blues and flats i think i might likem time will tell

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  2. fnddragn

fnddragn New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have used them and have mixed feelings about them. Some days I will gut hook every fish I get and then on other days they work great. The next batch I get will be the off set point style. But then I have only recently started to fish again, so I am still in the learning stage. Keep us up dated as you go, I will be interested to learn the results. :fingers-crossed:

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Have NEVER gut hooked a fish with a circle. Don't know anything about the Eagle claw's Dallas. I have always used the Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circles. Good Luck!

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    ive only seen one fish foul hooked with one and it was in the tail... i dont know how but ken did it...

the offset circles will give you a better hook up rate, or at least thats what i have found. make sure you have hooks big enough for your bait. the gap on a circle has to be big enough for the hook to work properly. i keep 5/0-10/0 with me at all times because depending on the bait size i have to switch hook size. also make sure after baiting the hook the tip is clear. even a scale can keep them from setting right.

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanx for the post Dallas. I've only tried them a coupla times and wasn't able to get the hang of not swinging to set the hook, so I just backed off. If you're successful, maybe I'll give them another try. You know, old dog and new tricks. lol Stay safe and best of luck to you!!!:flag:

6. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I use Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circles which are offset (the point is offset from the shaft) and I LOVE THEM. It was REALLY hard for me at first to watch a rod bend or hear a clicker going (when fishing in slow current with buttons pushed in and clickers on) and not just grab the rod and yank the living fire out of it, but they are right you will yank a circle out of the fishes mouth 9 outta 10 times by YANKING like crazy. So after getting a few bites and missing them do to "SWATTING" I forced myself to just be patient and wait and let them take it a little longer than I "normally would have" and when I do pick up I just do it nice and steady NOT fast and hard like before. Lemme tell you THEY WORK EXCELLENT hooks 'em in the corner of the mouth PERFECT every time. I LOVE them if fishing in alot of structure and dropping straight down in a mess of logs or such then the circles come off and the old baitholders or kahles are in order. Give 'em a chance and be paitient when you get a bite was the KEY to making them work for me.

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    8/0 Octopus Offset Circle hooks are the only and best hooks I have ever used. I have never caught a flathead from the bank here around the Mel Price lock and dam, so I don't know how they are for flatheads. I have caught plenty of blues and a few channels and 100% have been corner mouth hooks ups and have all been released in perfect shape. I have never gut hooked a fish or been close since I started using circle hooks, which was about 3 years ago.

8. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

If not happy with them you can try the team catfish double action circle hooks. They come in red and have a wider gap.They work great!:cool:

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Even if I think a fish has hooked his self I usually reel down on them before taking the rod out of the holder. Very few misses and I have never gut hooked a fish using circles.

10. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I doubted circle to start with took me awhile to get used to them but now that all I got and I like them alot just make sure you be patience with them because they will make you mad to start out with but you will be pleased with them in the end

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I've used circles for years now and love em. I've never used them go catch a blue so I can't speak on how they work for them but I'm sure they'll work just the same as they would for a flathead and I've seen and heard of them working for blues. I use 4/0 and 6/0's gama's for channels and 8/0's for flatheads but my personal preference for flathead are the team catfish double actions. they have a wider gap and you can kinda set the hook with a short sweeping action. it's not as hard as the j or kahle hooks I'd say like 30% compared to those hooksets. I stopped using the red ones because the red flakes off and they end up a bronze color so I stick with the black ones now. I haven't tried the team catfish for channels but I imagine they'll work just as good as the gamas do.

12. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    Just wondering... Team Catfish's Dual Action hooks looks like a "regular" circle hook. How come you can "set" those hooks but not other circle hooks? I just noticed on their videos (86 years young vid) that the hook was set using HUGE rod jerks like you would with bass. Any info on this?

13. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    They have a wider gap and the point is much straighter VS the point on most other circle hooks.

I've been using circle hooks for at least 10 years, probably closed to 13. I've NEVER EVER gut hooked a fish with one. That's just crazy for me to hear. I've used most modified circle hooks from Eagle Claw and Gamakatsu. I have had great success with all of them. I've got some Team Catfish and some Charley Brown's from Wildwolf that I haven't tried yet, but I'm confident that they'll work great too.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the USCA David. The Team Catfish hooks can be set . Normally just takes a steady slower oull to hook up. I've never tried to set one like bass fishing. Cource I don't *ass fish.

15. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I was just wondering...

Hey, any idea why this always happens to me?------- I cast, place my rod in a rod holder, and when the rod bows over with a fish on the line I start to reel down on it while still in the holder and then pick it up making sure its even pressure with no "setting" jerks. About 30 sec into fighting it the fish comes off. I'm using 7' MH rod, 20lb mono main/leader, 2/0 gama octo circle hook, 2oz bank sinker set up as a carolina rig... Any ideas?

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I like them circle hooks, mainly 8/0 gamakatsu, sometimes smaller, but they usually get hooked in the top corner of the mouth. Sometimes when the bite is slow I like to take a nap, and I awake to the clicker goin off. Other times I like to put my rod in the pole on the dock and let the line lay on the water. When the fish takes it, I just like to watch the line tighten up and then the rod bends wayyyyy over. Then I just reel em in. Thing is, sometimes I got a light rod and reel set up, its hard to turn em. One thing about circle hooks, I woulda lost a bunch of fish by using a j hook and trying to set the hook too soon. Just gotta be patient enough to let the fish take the bait all the way, not just nibble on it.

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Your hook is too small for the bait you're using. Most times, unless I'm targeting small fish, I never use anything smaller than a 5/0 circle hook. I've caught 1/2 pound bluegills on 5/0 hooks when using nightcrawlers for bait. Lots of people like to hide the hook in the bait, thinking that will help catch more fish. Catfish couldn't care less what a hook is.

When you use circles, you need to choose at least a size or two larger than what you'd normally use with a convention J style hook. The gap between the point and the shank on a 2/0 circle hook is smaller than what it would be on a 2/0 J hook or 2/0 kahle hook. For the hook to work, you need to make sure that the point is clear of the bait and that there's enough gap to allow it to roll into the corner of the mouth.

18. criss

criss New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've used 8/0 Gamakatsu for a few years this year they let me down. It cost me and several others tournaments this year. The points would roll on them and the fish would come off. I had at least thirty of them roll like this.

19. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    I'm sorry but what do you mean the points roll? Do you mean it doesn't penetrate all the way through and just catches the skin or something? What can be done to solve this problem?

20. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree your hooks are to small.I personal use 6 1/2 foot Sturdy Stick for the boat.Love me some 8/0 Gamakatsu haven't missed a big fish yet and for the price it blows all other hooks out the Water.Go with the offset with a snell knot.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010