CIRCLE HOOKS

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ramon06, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a box of 50 10/0 King Kahles but I never use them, I prefer 8/0 Gamma Circles or 9/0 from another Company, cant remember their name. I dont lose many fish. But people dont recommend using them for flats? I just bought a few more rods so I'll try one of the Kahle's, but I like not having to set the hook. I like just picking the rod up and using a side sweep and their on. I dont know, do alot of people lose hook ups or something?

2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    ive been using circles for a while now and i dont get why people say they arent as good for flats,they do the same thing for flats as they do blues....i have alot of luck using them and very rarely miss fish, but every once in a while il use a regular hook so i can set the hook, that can be alot of fun lol....RAT

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i like circles for flats. always had good luck with em'

4. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    never had a problem with circle hooks on flatheads. have bad luck with bait coming off of a regular hook though..

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've heard that rumor too...that you cant use circles for Flats. I laugh it off cause I use circles for them all the time and they work, and they work good.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    they will work fine you just have to make sure to use the right size.but i will say i have had better luck with kahle hooks and octopus hooks with larger baits like live bluegill.but its personal preference really,whatever works best for you.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using 8/0 gama circles for flatheads for the past 7 years....I have only lost 2 fish that I remember, and it was because the point of the hook tyrned into the bait, preventing a hook up.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Love em por hate em,I hate em.Main reason is because I fish from the bank and set the hook on a good deal of fish that are coming towards me. Hard to set a circle when they,re coming at ya.:wink:

9. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If i had a nickel for every thread concerning circle hooks... All I can say is that you wont be satisfied with either by reading these responses until you give both a chance on the water. Every angler has a different style and approach and both types of hooks will work better in different situations. I use 8/0 gamma circles and will probably use them until they stop making them. just my 2 cents. Try em all and let us know what you think!

10. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use nothing but circle hooks for flatheads! corner mouth everytime. except on the rare occasion when they come towards you and line goes slack. Then it gets all screwed up. I use 10/0 Maybe a little big, but work well for me. :roll_eyes:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  11. catback

catback New Member

State:
    virginia
    well i see we have a lot of circle fans around!! i dont use them for flats myself i use BIG LIVE baits and the circle (for me) isnt what im lookin for cause the hook seems to get abstructed by the size of the bait so i like to use the gamma octapus 10/0 for my big live bait and i get great hook ups some times even the big ol gamma big river 12/0 for those, i just over did it baits lol but i love my circle hooks for blues and cut bait

12. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I use circles and other hooks, just more to my arsenal. There are times when fishing heavy cover I use a J-hook so I can have a jackhammer the hook and pull him out right away, can't do it with a circle.

13. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i never had a problem

14. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I thought the gamma octopus were circle hooks? Maybe im mistaken.

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

bro all I use for flats are circle hooks. it really just comes down to preference of what you like and what works best for you. in my opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it.

16. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i use 10/0 gamaos J hooks for flatties i have not had luck with circle when fishing flatties i would not change if it is working for you

17. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ramon i use them with no problem to i only use circle hoks.:big_smile:

18. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The gamma octopus are short shanked j hooks. The circles are called Gamma octopus circles and come in either in-line or offset. I prefer offset.

19. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have never lost a flat or channel off circle hooks. There only been a few times I have had the hook turn into the bait. I'll swear by gamma circles!!!