Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wvcatfisherman, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Are circle hooks really all they are hyped up to be? I have heard everyone talking about them but I have never tried them because I don't want to lose big fish with them because of not getting a good hookset. How many fish do you guys miss with circle hooks? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes, they work! It's all I use now, and I don't miss many hooksets at all. A couple weeks ago a buddy and I were drift fishing on the Ohio. He had kahle's on a rod or two and missed a couple of really nice hard hits that in my opinion would have been boated fish if he had decent circle hooks on them, and he aint no ammature.

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If you know how to use them the right way they are great, but if you don't they can be a killer. I use them and I get just about every fish that hits.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    You realy won't know unless you try some out for yourself. They might work great for you. I had some and,,,,,,,,,, they went in the trash.:big_smile:

5. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    just try both and the one that works the best for ya roll with it, i use kahles and love em but i aint knocking the circle cause i know they work great too!!!! so whatever works for ya, sometimes they only grab half the bait so it dont matter sometimes, but confidence is most important:wink:

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I never used a circle till I got on here I tried them out love em

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was missing a lot of hits on my bait, I heard about circle hooks on here, I had seen them but didn't know how to use them so I didn't get any. After reading about how to use them I tried them and I love em. Last spring I threw a couple dead minnows out in the river and let em drift to where they would stop. I saw my line tighten and go slack, I waited and it happened again, then pretty soon it tightened up and bent my rod. Then I knew it was hooked. The first times it tightened up the fish was just getting part of the bait, and if I had set the hook I woulda missed him. I use 5/0 to 8/0 and the bigger hooks keep the smaller fish from getting hooked, give em a try and make your own decision, some like em, some don't.

8. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i wont knock circles but i will say i dont like em from my experience with em, i just cant get use to lettin it load up the rod then start fightin, i lose fish every time i set the hook, thats why i just use khales and sickles now

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You gotta try em out for yourself and your style of fishing.Seems like there aint no middle ground,most guys either love em or hate em.I personally hate em,and yes I have given them an honest shot.:big_smile::angry::crazy:.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    circles hooks work great if used properly. You gotta leave your rod in the rodholder till that rod tip gets buried. Especially if fishing for flatheads, you gotta be patient and let em hook themselves. Blue's on the other hand often smoke that rod and it will be doubled over before you even know you had a bite. Circle hooks require no hook set...........the fish will hook themselves!

11. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    IMO their junk for flathead. gave them 2 fair chances missed 3 good fish. But there are a ton of people that love them. like the others said, you just have to try'em. But for me i'll sitck with the good'ole J hook:wink:

12. nanookofthenish

nanookofthenish New Member

State:
    sw iowa
    Fellas, I think it all boils down to what type of angler you are. If you are an 'Al Linder' type, with a rod in one hand, and an eye on the other, then circle hooks are probably not for you. You will most likely jerk the whole bait clean out of the fish's mouth. But if on the otherhand, you enjoy to set your pole in a holder, either bankside or on the boat, and tend to other things like cooking, gabbing, or hittin' the barley pop, then circle hooks are your best friend. I fall into the latter catagory, and will never gut-hook a cat again because I was 'destracted' at the time. Thats why they're so great on trotlines too. If you preach CPR, then practice it with circle hooks.

13. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I started using them shortly after joining the BPC and I love them! I have missed a couple of good fish but I jerked the rod setting the hook forgetting I had circle hooks on and pulled the bait out of the fishes mouth I think. But when I have gotten a good bite, let it load the rod and started reeling in, I have caught the fish. I like e,' they are worth a try, but if you use them on one rod I would suggest on using them on all your rods at the same time, if you are like me, it's easy to get confused as to which rod had circle hooks on them and which do not.:big_smile:

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    circles are awesome!! I switched to them about 2 or 3 years ago and haven't went back since. My hook up ratio has probably doubled but one thing you have to remember is don't jerk when you get a bite wait for the rod to start to load and reel fast. after a few times you'lll get the hang of it. I love circles but really it's all just personal preference on what you like to fish with but as long as you're catching fish I don't think there is a right or wrong way, BUT I'd recommend circles!!!!!!!

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    For me no hook is better than a circle. As mentioned, don't expect to pull in a fish every time the rod bows, they gotta get it in their mouth, just like any other hook. Now me ,I use them for flats, blues , and channels.

At least 3 of my BoC fishing partners used Kahles too but after watching me pull in fish, in their boat, they too have changed. If you try them don't worry about high $$ hooks and sales pitches. If I here how sharp a hook is one more time I'm gonna puke. IMO...Eagle Claw,lazar sharp circles work excellent...period, end of story, LOL.

A tip for yas.......

If you use multiple rods and you forget what ones have circles or kahles....or if you use live bait and cut bait, a way to remember what rod has what is to put different color rubber bands on the rod butt. I use the ponytail type bands cause they are cheap, easy on the rod, bright in color, come in many colors ; )

Here is 2 of my Abu's... Red stands for "dead cut bait"...Green is for go aka "live bait".

My middle aged arse forgets what's what when we have out 10 or so rods.

-Jim-

16. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok I have a few more questions. What size should I use and where should I hook the bait? Also kahle hooks are just like circles, aren't they? I have heard that you are not supposed to set the hook with them either. Thanks for the helpful responses too.:big_smile:

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You can set a Kahle like normal or let it load like a circle. That's one of the best things about Kahle.

18. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use gamma octo circles, 8/0. Had 100% hook ups on flathead the other night. Try them! I like to let them make a nice run with my clicker on then just close the spool and let them hook themselves. If you think you have a lot of slack in your line you can try reeling in after you close the spool to get that slack out. just dont set the hook! Always, always leave the gap between the shank and the hook point clear, if it is crammed full of bait you might not hook up. I hook gills through the back and chubs through the nose, essentially leaving the hook gap clear to do its work. Good luck!

19. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    gama's are good pretty much all around but for flat's I like the team catfish double action or the diiachi circle chunk light. depending on the size of bait your throwing out it what is going to determine the size of hook you use. If you use to big of a hook it will weigh down your live bait and make it tire out a lot faster. I use mainly larger bait 5-8 inch gills, chubs or sunfish and I use 7/0 or 8/0 hook but when I'm fishin for channels with cutbait or throwing smaller like bait I like a 6/0.

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lord help us circal vs js vs kaels:roll_eyes: lol