Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Petsche, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anybody use circle hooks? I am going to try them but I am a little worried about hooking a channel smaller than 3 lbs or so.
    I am planning on using some 3/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circles. I also have some 5/0 ones but they seems a little big for the typical cat that I catch.

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just started using them and I love them! I have yet to hook a fish too deep even on small fish. Seems like the hook up is so much better.

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    cant get the hang of circles!! may try again with cut!!

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ya I really like em. Just make sure you get a large enough size for your bait. If its too small and you hook too deep in the bait it can block the fishes mouth from the barb.:wink:

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i have caught alot of small fish with biger circles.. the only size i have is 8/0

7. glen the brumsta

glen the brumsta New Member

State:
    birmingham , england
    Hi from a ENGLISH catfisherman. :big_smile:

i use circles all the time in England ,France, and have also used them in spain. but mainley England . the spieces of catfish i catch are wells,. i normally only use them for live bait or susspended bait, i personally don,t use them for bottom baits.

I use owner ones and they never let me down the trick is not to strike, just wind down and lift into the catfish, it takes some doing not whacking into them but it certainley works , and don,t be put off by there wierd shape. get on em there brilliant.

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Glen! I sure hope I can get out that way to get into one of those Wel's someday!

9. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england
    thanks for the welcome , yeah wells catfish are great they fight like crazy and grow huge as you well know.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes!! Welcome to the BOC from Nebraska, USA /Glen!! That's awesome to see someone from across the ocean on the BOC!! Very cool! I agree 100% on your info on the circle hook issue. I've used them occasionaly for fishing our Striped Bass Hybrids and Catfish too. The trick is not to set the hook! Just lift the rod, with pressure and start cranking. I really like the fact, that most of the time the hook barb is in the corner of the mouth. Makes for easy hook removal and the life of the fish if CPR'd!! The circle hook is designed to rotate in the fishes mouth and when it gets to the lip section, the barb sets into it. Pretty ingenious idea and can up the odds for the catching ratio!! I sure like them!!

Takes some getting used too, but worth the effort!!

11. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i think he needs to send us some wells cats to stock some lakes here in nebraska:big_smile:

12. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england
    cheers guys

Do you guys over there use circles with bottom baits, i don,t feel the need to use circles in this situation, like i say i think they work better up in the water i don,t yet know too much of your style of fishing for catfish, but reckon most of your fishing is done on boats, here in England nearly all our catting is done on the bank, using bite alarms and fishing livebaits just under the surface . yes got to agree with Bownero 99% of cats hooked in mouth, great if you want to catch them again

Flat head hunter thats how most waters are stocked in England, the River Ebro in Spain was stocked with a bucket of fingerlings and the german guy who put them in the ebro even put a couple of buckets of bleak(BAIT FISH)in at the same time. now these cats are going to over 200lb. ive only managed 191 lb but still massive

13. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I use circle hooks for all of my bait fishing. Anwhere from 3/0 to 6/0. Don't let anyone tell you a 3/0 isn't a big enough hook. Landed sever5al channels over 15lbs, with a pb of 22 lbs! The whole deal is to not cover the hook point so it will catch the fish. Also don't set the hook. Just let the fish pull against the rod and the hook sets itself.
    I've caught all kinds of fish on cicles, not just catfish.
    Glen, welcome to the BOC. The best bunch of blokes around!!!

14. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i think anyone here would be happy with a fish that was 191 pounds:big_smile:

15. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Greetings, Glen! I'll be damned! I spent 7.5 years in England, and I fished a lot, but I did not know about the catfish. AWEEEEE!!!! Did anyone see the show on Nat Geo lately about the enormous catfish in the Amazon River? The wife saw the show as well, but refuses to move to South America. I promised her a case of mosquito spray every year and a trip back to Nebraska at least once a year, but she still refuses to go. lol. Bummer!

16. kyhawk

kyhawk New Member

State:
    Kearney, Nebras
    ive used circle hooks for 2 years now and its the only hook ill use...there genious...they take some time to get use to but once u get them figured out, ur hooked!!!

17. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm game for that. How do you use them?

18. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    let the fish slam the rod down..... HOLD ON!!!! i would probably not use a clicker.. just remember not to set the hook or you will miss everyone of them and feel the bait pull out of there mouth

19. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Use #7's or 8's Daichi or Gamies!:wink:

20. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm going to give them a try. I'll let you know how i did. thanks!!