circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by docs, May 15, 2009.

1. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    first of all i wnated to thank raysplay for turning me on to circle hooks. was just wanting to get some advice from you guys as to if you should set the hook when using circle hooks. and also ive heard circle hooks dont work as well on smaller channel cats. is this true????:0a23:

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Circle hooks work fine on channels, or at least they did for me today.
    I caught 10 channels up to 6 pounds today, all on circle hooks, except one on a khale hook. I used my homemade dip tubes with 5/0 hooks.
    I never set the hook. I just left the rod in the driftmaster rod holders and let the hook the all the work. I would reel down on the fish before taking the rod out of the holder.
    hope this helps.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You will not be setting the hook when using a circle hook. Set your drag, set the rod in a holder, when the fish hits and bends the rod hard, reel in as you pick up the rod. Keep a steady retrieve keeping pressure on him the whole time.

The hook set will come when the rod bends in the holder. I use a clicker bank fishing and set my drag hard enough to bend the rod hard but yet still able to take the drag out.

I would think a 3/0 circle would be fine for any channel cat unless they are really tiny.

4. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    We set the bait clicker using 8/0 circle hooks when drift fishing on thr Ark river with circle hooks. It gives a little longer as you pick up the rod and begin to reel, we also never, never set the hook. Hook up rate is 90% or better. The bigger hooks are for bigger baits for a better chance at big fish.

5. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    :big_smile:Your welcome on circle hook advice you can never go wrong I promise you on circle hooks several time I have been away from my rod 50yrds or so and it goes to jerking and when I get to it the fish is still on she will come to the bank or break the line, and have watched to many other people with other hooks jump @ a jerk and miss the fish because they did,nt get there in time. :cool2:The guy are telling you right do not set the hook just pull up the slack and thr fight is on!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    yep they work well! have to say though on the 1 1/2 to 2 pound channels they dont work as well. its a smaller price to pay to miss a couple of good eaters. with a good chance of not missing a big one! funny that there design works so well. i caught a couple of channels the other night and both were right in the side of the mouth. i shouldnt tell this , but caught a 8 and a 10 lb soft shell turtle. and both of them got it right in the side of the mouth. im sure im not the only one that catches turtles right..???lol???:smile2: thanks again

7. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    Those damn turtles!!!:angry: LOL!

8. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU RAY!

9. fishshocker

fishshocker New Member

State:
    Roswell, GA
    I don't want to steal this thread, but i've had a question along the same lines....do you guys that use jugs (i'm making a bunch of the pool noodle jugs as i type this) also use circle hooks? I didn't know if the pressure from the pool noodle would be enough to 'set' the hook since the noodle would be allowed to swim with the fish.

10. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    was kinda wondering that myself. with jugs and trotlines.:0a36:

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they will set the hook on fish. It does not take much pressure at all. Take one of your hooks, and a hot dog. Tie a string to the hook. And see how little of pressure it takes to allow the hook to dig in.
    Even the 2 5/8" noodles will set the hook. I have people that use our Jug kits and there using circle hooks or sickle hooks. And having great hook % on both.
    Pete

12. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I`ve never used the circles for juggin, but always thought they should be great for it. I will change over next time for sure.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I use circles on my jugs. I use 2 liter jugs. There is ample enough boyancy to give a hookset. I often use the 3/0 Lazer Sharps as they are thin wired and work nice with channels.

14. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    Started using circle hooks on my juggs a couple of years ago to improve hook up ratio,they work great

15. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    NO this is not true this is all i used for the past year and i have cought big and very small channel cat they work fine.

16. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    try a mustad demon 2/0 it is a small hook but it works on small or large fish.
    I use them for channel cats and don't miss any.

17. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hello guys

That is what I have on my Noodle Jugs, is #7/0 circle hooks, the Noodles or about a foot long,if I remember right I got 6 jugs out of one piece of foam,

Robert BOC member showed me how to make them, the only fish that I have been catching or on the jugs,

cliff

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great advise, never set the hook on a circle hook..I let the fish bend the rod down as far as it can before even picking up the rod..Never jerk the rod, I just pull back and start reeling..the big flat in my avitar was caught 2 nights ago using a 8/0 gamagatsu circle.

19. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    :crazy: Congrats on the very nice cat:smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I THINK THAT CIRCLE HOOKS ARE THE BEST HOOKS OUT THERE.I USE ANY WHERE FROM A 6/0 TO 10/0 CIRCLE HOOK AND I HAVCE CAUGHT CAT FISH ON THEM THAT ARE UNDER THE 1# RANGE BEFORE.YOU CAN SET THE HOOK WITH A CIRCLE HOOK JUST DIFFRENT THERN IF YOU USE A J STYLE HOOK.INSTEAD OF JERKING UP AND BACK PULL STRAIT BACK AND UP JUST A LITTLE AND IT WILL SE THE HOOK ON THOSE LITTLE FISH THAT PECK AT YOUR BAIT.